Old 08-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Jim Byrnes

Default Downgrade Thunderbird 6 to Thunderbird 5 from PPA

On 08/18/2011 10:03 AM, Alan Pope wrote:

On 18 August 2011 14:13, Dotan Cohen<dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

Now Thunderbird was upgraded to version 6 and broke an essential
extension. I found a Thunderbird 5 deb from here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/i386/thunderbird/5.0+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu5

What release of Ubuntu are you on? That deb is from 11.10 which hasn't
been released yet, so I would avoid it if you're on 11.04 or below.

Have you contacted the author of the extension to see if they are
planning to update it?

However removing the installed Thunderbird is giving me all kinds of
dependency issues, such as Enigmail. How does one "roll back" to a
previous version via aptitude? I tried using Synaptic's Fore Version
feature, but it is disabled on Thunderbird. Maybe that is due to the
PPA?

I would first disable the PPA, then "apt-get autoremove" thunderbird.
It would probably be easier to then grab the version 5 release from
Mozilla upstream and run that until the extension you need is updated.
I'm not sure if you can suppress the update mechanism easily in 5 to
prevent going to 6 for now. If you can find a deb for your release of
Ubuntu then you could use that and "pin" it to prevent it updating.

Al.

You can easily suppress it. It asks you if you want to upgrade now or
be asked again later. I am waiting myself because a theme I use is not
compatible.

Regards, Jim

Old 08-18-2011, 06:44 PM
NoOp

On 08/18/2011 10:56 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> That was my plan. Now that Virtual Identity is fixed the issue is less
> critical, but the secondary goal of knowing how to roll back is still
> important to me. Mozilla plans on updating Tbird every three months. I
> like to keep a reasonably-new Tbird as Thunderbird Conversations
> pushes many patches to Mozilla and many features of Conversations
> require a very recent Tbird. So I will inadvertently break it again.
> In other words, I need to learn how to handle living near the bleeding
> edge.

Easiest way is to install the mozilla version in a home folder & use
that instead. I have multiple versions of Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and
Firefox installed in home folders so that I can test the differences.
Further, in installing this way I have no need to worry about the
installations accessing root folders & also have access to updates
directly from Mozilla when I wish.

I pretty well gave up on the Ubuntu Mozilla maintainers sometime back. I
still keep the Ubuntu versions installed, but only fire those up for
testing against the Mozilla versions and/or testing Joe Lesko's
SeaMonkey PPA builds.

As for Virtual Identity; if it is like other add-on's you may be able to
simply modify install.rdf file by adding the current version in the
<em:targetApplication> section(s). I've not used it so, no idea what the
install.rdf looks like for that one.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 21:32, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> See:
> https://www.absorb.it/virtual-id

Yes, 0.8.2 was pushed out due to this bug:
https://www.absorb.it/virtual-id/ticket/345

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 19:01 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 18 August 2011 18:56, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes, I am a regular tester and triager of Virtual Identity. The fix is
> > already released and Thunderbird is now working again. However, I do
> > need to know how to handle these situations for software that I am not
> > in contact with the devs.
> >

> Oh well that's good news and quick too!
>
> > Alan, what is your opinion of Yum?
>
> My only experience of it is negative, and not on Ubuntu, so I guess
> that's not helpful

They DID come up with one nifty feature, back when ...instead of
updating an entire package, you can just install the diff files. No need
to update the doc files, for instance, if they aren't also updated, so
yum would just install the bits you really need, which is great for
limited bandwidth users. It does require investment in that schema by
the repos, to handle both means of updating a package. Updates were
quick, I have to give them that. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 21:13 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 21:01, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> > My only experience of it is negative, and not on Ubuntu, so I guess
> > that's not helpful
> >

> If you have the time I'd really appreciate knowing your negative
> experiences. I'm about to go down the Yum-on-Ubuntu path, which we
> know is very seldom trodden, and if Yum has problems even on it's home
> turf then I'd like to know what they are. Thanks.

What repos would support that?? To me, apt-get beats the dog out of yum.
But, I guess you'll find out and report back? Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 00:03, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> What repos would support that??

Does the repo have to support anything? I thought that the package
manager would interact with the repo via some API, and that Yum would
work with the same API as Aptitude. The fact that tit is downloading a
.deb instead of a .rpm wouldn't matter for purposes of interacting
with the repo. I'm naive, right?

> To me, apt-get beats the dog out of yum.

In what way? What objective advantage does apt-get have?

> But, I guess you'll find out and report back? Ric

It's Not Working (tm) for me, I'm not investing time into exploring why tonight:

✈demios:~$ sudo yum install gimp
Setting up Install Process
No package gimp available.
Nothing to do
✈demios:~$

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 08-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2011-08-19 at 00:48 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 00:03, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What repos would support that??
>
> Does the repo have to support anything? I thought that the package
> manager would interact with the repo via some API, and that Yum would
> work with the same API as Aptitude. The fact that tit is downloading a
> .deb instead of a .rpm wouldn't matter for purposes of interacting
> with the repo. I'm naive, right?
>

> > To me, apt-get beats the dog out of yum.
> >

> In what way? What objective advantage does apt-get have?

I used RedHat and Caldera, when they both first came out, for ages, and
later used Fedora. My preference for apt-get is purely visceral, the
same with preferring Ubuntu to RedHat/Fedora. I don't have to jump
through hoops to get at what I need to make my system do useful stuff. I
find life is better here. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-19-2011, 04:41 AM
Basil Chupin