Old 11-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Chris Jones

Default Running 32bit applications on a 64bit system

Hi,

> When I originally chose the 64bit version, it was based on my
> assumption that, since my hardware was 64bit, my OS should be too. I
> did notice the sluggish performance you mentioned and I attributed it
> to my systems shortcomings (1.8Ghz w/1GB RAM). Now, I'm seeing it
> might also have to do with the version of the OS I chose.
>
> Thanks again. I'm going to download the 32bit version now.

I must confess I am more familiar with Redhat based systems, using
Fedora on my latop until recently (now Gutsy ) and Scientific Linux at
work, but this is something I've been wondering about myself. How well
does ubuntu/debian support what in the Redhat word is often referred to
as mutlilib'ing, i.e. having the 32 and 64 bit versions of libraries
installed side by side ?

On our 64 bit machines at work, it is trivial to install side by side
the 32 bit RPMS as well. Then any application built on a 32 bit system
runs just fine on the 64 bit machines as well (+ we can experiment with
64bit builds at the same time).

I think this is exactly what the OP needs to run whatever 32 bit
applications he needs (lahtough it would help if he stated what these
apps are, and what errors he gets when trying to run ?)

I'm getting the impression ubuntu/debian doesn't support this sort of
thing anywhere as near as well ?

Chris