FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Alan Pope
 
Default Add-on not being compatible with latest releases of Firefox

On 18 August 2011 07:18, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> For at least a couple of weeks now I have been running Firefox 8.x[1] and
> found that I lost the use of at least 4 extensions because they were
> incompatible with 8.x. Although annoyed, I didn't worry too much because the
> main security extensions were still working.
>
> This morning, Firefox got upgraded to version 9 - and I lost a couple more
> extensions and also the theme (Nautipolis, which I have been using for
> years).
>
> Now, this got me "stirred up" :-) , and so I went looking for a butt to
> kick.
>

Kick your own.

> [1] I have the Nightly direct from the Mozilla site installed.
>

You're running nightly, this is expected behaviour. If you want
bleeding edge developer releases (nightly) then you need to reset your
expectations accordingly. If you want stability, run a stable version
of Firefox, not Nightly, Aurora or Beta.

https://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2011/04/07/new-development-channels-and-repositories-for-rapid-releases/
http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2011/04/13/new-channels-for-firefox-rapid-releases/

Al.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Basil Chupin
 
Default Add-on not being compatible with latest releases of Firefox

On 18/08/11 16:45, Alan Pope wrote:

On 18 August 2011 07:18, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

For at least a couple of weeks now I have been running Firefox 8.x[1] and
found that I lost the use of at least 4 extensions because they were
incompatible with 8.x. Although annoyed, I didn't worry too much because the
main security extensions were still working.

This morning, Firefox got upgraded to version 9 - and I lost a couple more
extensions and also the theme (Nautipolis, which I have been using for
years).

Now, this got me "stirred up" :-) , and so I went looking for a butt to
kick.


Kick your own.


If it weren't for my current belief that you are not a complete
deadhead, I would have responded to this stupid respsonse of yours in a
totally different manner.




[1] I have the Nightly direct from the Mozilla site installed.

You're running nightly, this is expected behaviour. If you want
bleeding edge developer releases (nightly) then you need to reset your
expectations accordingly. If you want stability, run a stable version
of Firefox, not Nightly, Aurora or Beta.


Firstly, as I mentioned, someone mentioned in this mail list that FF 8
was much faster than the version I installed (#7), and an improvement on
version #6, available in Ubuntu, after which I installed Aurora #8 from
the Mozilla site and found that it WAS was faster than FF6 and even #7 -
and which I acknowledged in this list.


You made no comment about this in this list at the time.

But now, suddenly, you come out and decide to make an 'in depth
observation'.


Is my post off-topic and not relevant to those who may be using Firefox
#7 or #8, or now #9?


Secondly, what was your purpose in stating what you just stated above
when someone here posted a totally useless piece of info about taking
apart a mouse to get rid of some crap inside it and which had nothing
remotely do with anything associated with Ubuntu or Linux?


And following from this, am I allowed to post another piece of
information about Logitech keyboards and Logtitech mice which may assist
their users to overcome a potential problem they may encounter when
using them?


BC

--
"Oh what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to deceive."
Sir Walter Scott



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Alan Pope
 
Default Add-on not being compatible with latest releases of Firefox

On 18 August 2011 12:28, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> If it weren't for my current belief that you are not a complete deadhead, I
> would have responded to this stupid respsonse of yours in a totally
> different manner.
>

Delightful. I was merely pointing out that it's nobodys fault than
your own if you're running "crack of the day" that it breaks now and
then.

> Firstly, as I mentioned, someone mentioned in this mail list that FF 8 was
> much faster than the version I installed (#7), and an improvement on version
> #6, available in Ubuntu, after which I installed Aurora #8 from the Mozilla
> site and found that it WAS was faster than FF6 and even #7 - and which I
> acknowledged in this list.
>

Speed comes at a price.

> You made no comment about this in this list at the time.
>

I (and everyone else for that matter) am under no obligation to
respond to every mail.

> But now, suddenly, you come out and decide to make an 'in depth
> observation'.
>

You asked a specific question, I gave an answer, sorry you don't like
the answer.

> Is my post off-topic and not relevant to those who may be using Firefox #7
> or #8, or now #9?
>

Your post was about running Firefox on Ubuntu. How is that offtopic?

> Secondly, what was your purpose in stating what you just stated above when
> someone here posted a totally useless piece of info about taking apart a
> mouse to get rid of some crap inside it and which had nothing remotely do
> with anything *associated with Ubuntu or Linux?
>

I have no idea what you're talking about. I sometimes miss mails, so
maybe I missed this interesting tid-bit of mouse control.

> And following from this, am I allowed to post another piece of information
> about Logitech keyboards and Logtitech mice which may assist their users to
> overcome a potential problem they may encounter when using them?
>

I'm pretty sure you know what goes and what doesn't go on this list.

Have a nice day!

Al.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Alan Pope
 
Default Add-on not being compatible with latest releases of Firefox

On 18 August 2011 12:28, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> If it weren't for my current belief that you are not a complete deadhead, I
> would have responded to this stupid respsonse of yours in a totally
> different manner.
>

Delightful. I was merely pointing out that it's nobodys fault than
your own if you're running "crack of the day" that it breaks now and
then.

> Firstly, as I mentioned, someone mentioned in this mail list that FF 8 was
> much faster than the version I installed (#7), and an improvement on version
> #6, available in Ubuntu, after which I installed Aurora #8 from the Mozilla
> site and found that it WAS was faster than FF6 and even #7 - and which I
> acknowledged in this list.
>

Speed comes at a price.

> You made no comment about this in this list at the time.
>

I (and everyone else for that matter) am under no obligation to
respond to every mail.

> But now, suddenly, you come out and decide to make an 'in depth
> observation'.
>

You asked a specific question, I gave an answer, sorry you don't like
the answer.

> Is my post off-topic and not relevant to those who may be using Firefox #7
> or #8, or now #9?
>

Your post was about running Firefox on Ubuntu. How is that offtopic?

> Secondly, what was your purpose in stating what you just stated above when
> someone here posted a totally useless piece of info about taking apart a
> mouse to get rid of some crap inside it and which had nothing remotely do
> with anything *associated with Ubuntu or Linux?
>

I have no idea what you're talking about. I sometimes miss mails, so
maybe I missed this interesting tid-bit of mouse control.

> And following from this, am I allowed to post another piece of information
> about Logitech keyboards and Logtitech mice which may assist their users to
> overcome a potential problem they may encounter when using them?
>

I'm pretty sure you know what goes and what doesn't go on this list.

Have a nice day!

Al.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Basil Chupin
 
Default Add-on not being compatible with latest releases of Firefox

On 18/08/11 21:47, Alan Pope wrote:

On 18 August 2011 12:28, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

If it weren't for my current belief that you are not a complete deadhead, I
would have responded to this stupid respsonse of yours in a totally
different manner.


Delightful. I was merely pointing out that it's nobodys fault than
your own if you're running "crack of the day" that it breaks now and
then.


Oh, is that what you were trying to convey? Then I suggest that you get
a bit more articulate and say what you want to say in the right way.


We all know that being on the "bleeding edge" has its "moments of
excitement" - but that is not what I was conveying in my post because I
wasn't conveying "excitement" but rather a solution to those who were
either already running FF >#6 or were thinking about it.




Firstly, as I mentioned, someone mentioned in this mail list that FF 8 was
much faster than the version I installed (#7), and an improvement on version
#6, available in Ubuntu, after which I installed Aurora #8 from the Mozilla
site and found that it WAS was faster than FF6 and even #7 - and which I
acknowledged in this list.

Speed comes at a price.


Maybe yes, maybe no. All depends if you know how fast you can go and how
to handle the fast speed.




You made no comment about this in this list at the time.

I (and everyone else for that matter) am under no obligation to
respond to every mail.


But of course - this is "a taken".

However, it has a slightly different rendition when it comes from the
only moderator of this list (sorry, the only *officially* listed
moderator of this list).




But now, suddenly, you come out and decide to make an 'in depth
observation'.

You asked a specific question, I gave an answer, sorry you don't like
the answer.


Al (may I call you Al?), what is the "specific question" I asked to
which you "gave an answer" and which I didn't like?


Please quote from my original post.



Is my post off-topic and not relevant to those who may be using Firefox #7
or #8, or now #9?


Your post was about running Firefox on Ubuntu. How is that offtopic?


I don't know - I asked the question. Form your response I take it that
my post is not OF.



Secondly, what was your purpose in stating what you just stated above
when someone here posted a totally useless piece of info about taking
apart a mouse to get rid of some crap inside it and which had nothing
remotely do with anything associated with Ubuntu or Linux?

I have no idea what you're talking about. I sometimes miss mails, so
maybe I missed this interesting tid-bit of mouse control.



Understandable. You cannot be expected to read every post which is
posted in this list.



And following from this, am I allowed to post another piece of
information about Logitech keyboards and Logtitech mice which may
assist their users to overcome a potential problem they may encounter
when using them?

I'm pretty sure you know what goes and what doesn't go on this list.


To be honest, I really don't know.

What is written here seems to depend on what you manage to read and
decide as to its contents or on what some "list police" here report and
complain about to (?)you or the "Council" (or whatever the correct term
is) as happened in the case of Sounder.



Have a nice day!


Shall try and do so even though it is raining here, and the days are
miserably sunless.


Nevertheless, I am lifted in spirits following stimulating exchanges :-) .

(I hope that you didn't "riot" too much recently :-) .

But more seriously, I hope that you weren't affected in any way by the
riots.)




Al.


BC

--
"Oh what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to deceive."
Sir Walter Scott



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default Add-on not being compatible with latest releases of Firefox

On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 12:47 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 18 August 2011 12:28, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > If it weren't for my current belief that you are not a complete deadhead, I
> > would have responded to this stupid respsonse of yours in a totally
> > different manner.
> >
>
> Delightful. I was merely pointing out that it's nobodys fault than
> your own if you're running "crack of the day" that it breaks now and
> then.
>
> > Firstly, as I mentioned, someone mentioned in this mail list that FF 8 was
> > much faster than the version I installed (#7), and an improvement on version
> > #6, available in Ubuntu, after which I installed Aurora #8 from the Mozilla
> > site and found that it WAS was faster than FF6 and even #7 - and which I
> > acknowledged in this list.
> >
>
> Speed comes at a price.
>
> > You made no comment about this in this list at the time.
> >
>
> I (and everyone else for that matter) am under no obligation to
> respond to every mail.
>
> > But now, suddenly, you come out and decide to make an 'in depth
> > observation'.
> >
>
> You asked a specific question, I gave an answer, sorry you don't like
> the answer.
>
> > Is my post off-topic and not relevant to those who may be using Firefox #7
> > or #8, or now #9?
> >
>
> Your post was about running Firefox on Ubuntu. How is that offtopic?
>
> > Secondly, what was your purpose in stating what you just stated above when
> > someone here posted a totally useless piece of info about taking apart a
> > mouse to get rid of some crap inside it and which had nothing remotely do
> > with anything associated with Ubuntu or Linux?
> >
>
> I have no idea what you're talking about. I sometimes miss mails, so
> maybe I missed this interesting tid-bit of mouse control.

That was me! I merely posted that during the install of my new
motherboard that it went ape, and I found out later that my optical
mouse was ragging the USB subsystem with a clogged up mouse wheel. Once
I cleaned it out, everything went back to normal. Just a head's up for
anyone else dealing with a new install and potential gotcha's. It's
there for posterity. That's all... apparently newer motherboards are a
lot less forgiving. Ric

--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:31 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org