Old 08-17-2011, 11:07 PM
"compdoc"

Default Detection of ATI Video card

On 16 August 2011 14:47, <Mike.Collins@uk.henkel.com> wrote:
> Can any one help me? I have an ASUS P5B-E motherboard, with an ATI X1900
> video card in the PCI-E slot. I cannot get Ubuntu to 'see' this card at
all.
> The PC works OK, but installing ATI driver does not work because the card
is
> not detected.

When you say the PC works OK, do you mean the video card works without
installing the 3rd party driver?

On some systems, it works better if you don't load any drivers.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:14 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 08/17/2011 06:07 PM, compdoc wrote:
> When you say the PC works OK, do you mean the video card works without
> installing the 3rd party driver? On some systems, it works better if
> you don't load any drivers.

You have it backwards, the Opensource driver is the third party driver
and the driver provided by ATI is the the "original". And you always
have a driver loaded.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:18 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 08/17/2011 09:14 PM, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 08/17/2011 06:07 PM, compdoc wrote:
>> When you say the PC works OK, do you mean the video card works without
>> installing the 3rd party driver? On some systems, it works better if
>> you don't load any drivers.
>
> You have it backwards, the Opensource driver is the third party driver
> and the driver provided by ATI is the the "original". And you always
> have a driver loaded.

I should clarify the latter, you always have a driver loaded if the
hardware is currently working.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:33 AM
"compdoc"

Jordon Bedwell wrote:

>You have it backwards, the Opensource driver is the third party driver
>and the driver provided by ATI is the the "original". And you always
>have a driver loaded.

A third party driver would be a driver that is not part of Ubuntu. For
example, proprietary drivers that you have to install yourself that are
written by corporations that are not part of the Ubuntu project.

Ubuntu is itself open source, and any included software tends to be open
source. This forms an association.

Now, it's possible there are proprietary drivers that are installed by the
Ubuntu installer, but the ATI driver is not one of them. Its third party.

And lastly, I never said nor implied a driver wasn't loading. Are you drunk?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_party:

Third party is often used to refer to a person or entity who is not involved
in an interaction or relationship.