-   -   LibreOffice3 on Natty fails with "com::sun::star::uno::RuntimeException" (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/565022-libreoffice3-natty-fails-com-sun-star-uno-runtimeexception.html)

Charlie Zender 08-16-2011 09:57 PM

LibreOffice3 on Natty fails with "com::sun::star::uno::RuntimeException"

Hello,

LibreOffice3 fails to start and issues the error:

'com::sun::star::uno::RuntimeException'

This happens with both a clean install of Natty and with a version
upgraded from Maverick. Prior to upgrading from Maverick->Natty,
OpenOffice3 worked fine.

Googling this problem yields a bunch of hits, but no solutions (for
me). I have tried removing and re-installing all traces of
LibreOffice.

Any help appreciated,
Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, Department of Earth System Science
University of California, Irvine (949) 891-2429 :)

NoOp 08-17-2011 03:04 AM

On 08/16/2011 02:57 PM, Charlie Zender wrote:
> Hello,
>
> LibreOffice3 fails to start and issues the error:

> 'com::sun::star::uno::RuntimeException'
>
> This happens with both a clean install of Natty and with a version
> upgraded from Maverick. Prior to upgrading from Maverick->Natty,
> OpenOffice3 worked fine.
>
> Googling this problem yields a bunch of hits, but no solutions (for
> me). I have tried removing and re-installing all traces of
> LibreOffice.

If it weren't for the clean install of Natty it would sound like a
profile issue. On the Maverick-Natty upgrade machine can you try the
following:

1. Rename your ~/.libreoffice folder to ~/.libreoffice_bak
2. Restart LO

See if it still throws the error. Note: you can always delete the new
~/.libreoffice folder that LO will create on starting up & rename your
~/.libreoffice_bak.

On the clean Natty install, did you copy any of the ~/.openoffice
profiles over?

On either machine you can also test the standard LO version in parallel
with your Natty LO. Download both the main package and the help package
from:
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

Extract both files (right-click in Nautilus & select 'Extract here'. In
a terminal cd to the 'DEBS' folder, example:
$ cd /home/<user>/LibO_3.4.2rc3_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS
and install:

$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Then modify the bootloader so that it creates a profile seperate from
your Ubuntu ~/.libreoffice:

$ gksu gedit /opt/libreoffice3.4/program/bootstraprc
or if you downloaded 3.3:
$ gksu gedit /opt/libreoffice/program/bootstraprc
and modify:

UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.libreoffice/3
to read:
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.libreoffice3.4/3
or
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/.libreoffice3.3/3

save and then start LO:

$ /opt/libreoffice3.4/program/soffice
or
/opt/libreoffice/program/soffice