Old 08-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Roland Turcan

Default Starting a script from USB stick on 10.10 and newer

Hello all,

I need to be able to start a script located on USB stick which is
mounted as VFAT with "showexec" option.

Where can I change the automount options to get "exec" option for all
connected USB sticks?

PS: On 10.04 was usb stick mounted without "noexec" or "showexec"
option and therefore it is possible to start a script.

Thanks in advance.

--
Best regards, TRoland
http://www.rotursoft.sk

Old 08-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/8/16 Roland Turcan <konf@rotursoft.sk>:
> Hello all,
>
> I need to be able to start a script located on USB stick which is
> mounted as VFAT with "showexec" option.
>
> Where can I change the automount options to get "exec" option for all
> connected USB sticks?
>
> PS: On 10.04 was usb stick mounted without "noexec" or "showexec"
> option and therefore it is possible to start a script.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Do you mean that you want a script to execute as soon as you plug in
the stick in the USB port?

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 08-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Roland Turcan

<<< 16.08.2011 18:05:33 - Johnny Rosenberg "gurus.knugum@gmail.com" >>>
JR> 2011/8/16 Roland Turcan <konf@rotursoft.sk>:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I need to be able to start a script located on USB stick which is
>> mounted as VFAT with "showexec" option.
>>
>> Where can I change the automount options to get "exec" option for all
>> connected USB sticks?
>>
>> PS: On 10.04 was usb stick mounted without "noexec" or "showexec"
>> option and therefore it is possible to start a script.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

JR> Do you mean that you want a script to execute as soon as you plug in
JR> the stick in the USB port?

No, I meant to start any bash script using double click from USB
stick.

--
Best regards, TRoland
http://www.rotursoft.sk

Old 08-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Roland Turcan

<<< 16.08.2011 22:18:49 - Roland Turcan "konf@rotursoft.sk" >>>
RT> <<< 16.08.2011 18:05:33 - Johnny Rosenberg "gurus.knugum@gmail.com" >>>
JR>> 2011/8/16 Roland Turcan <konf@rotursoft.sk>:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I need to be able to start a script located on USB stick which is
>>> mounted as VFAT with "showexec" option.
>>>
>>> Where can I change the automount options to get "exec" option for all
>>> connected USB sticks?
>>>
>>> PS: On 10.04 was usb stick mounted without "noexec" or "showexec"
>>> option and therefore it is possible to start a script.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>

JR>> Do you mean that you want a script to execute as soon as you plug in
JR>> the stick in the USB port?

RT> No, I meant to start any bash script using double click from USB
RT> stick.

I don't believe that no one knows the solution here.

Please help me!

--
Best regards, TRoland
http://www.rotursoft.sk

Old 08-22-2011, 04:28 PM
sktsee

On 08/22/2011 10:10 AM, Roland Turcan wrote:

<<< 16.08.2011 22:18:49 - Roland Turcan "konf@rotursoft.sk">>>
RT> <<< 16.08.2011 18:05:33 - Johnny Rosenberg "gurus.knugum@gmail.com">>>
JR>> 2011/8/16 Roland Turcan<konf@rotursoft.sk>:

Hello all,

I need to be able to start a script located on USB stick which is
mounted as VFAT with "showexec" option.

Where can I change the automount options to get "exec" option for all
connected USB sticks?

PS: On 10.04 was usb stick mounted without "noexec" or "showexec"
option and therefore it is possible to start a script.

Thanks in advance.

JR>> Do you mean that you want a script to execute as soon as you plug in
JR>> the stick in the USB port?

RT> No, I meant to start any bash script using double click from USB
RT> stick.

I don't believe that no one knows the solution here.

Please help me!

From mount's manpage:

showexec
If set, the execute permission bits of the file will be allowed
only if the extension part of the name is .EXE, .COM, or .BAT. Not set
by default.

Try appending the script names with a .bat extension on your vfat
formatted usb drive.

--
sktsee

Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Ben Tinner

Did you make the script executable?

Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 15:18 +0800, Ben Tinner wrote:
> Did you make the script executable?
>
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 23:10 CST Roland Turcan wrote:

Someone else please remind these folks to not top post.. I'm getting
tired. And old, ...and too low on patience. I might get all cranky.
Alan, would someone make the list rules OBVIOUS, like right there part
of the sign-up page? Oh please... you know, we just can't depend on a
person lurking a bit to get the overall flavor of the list to try to fit
in. I'm gonna go fsck my harddrive, to stay out of trouble. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Roland Turcan

<<< 23.08.2011 9:18:05 - Ben Tinner "bentinner@yahoo.com.sg" >>>
BT> Did you make the script executable?

The problem is that "chmod +x" doesn't help, because it has no effect
and the file will not have executable anyway.

The best solution is to get the "auto mounting" process back to the
state as it was in 10.04 or older where all files from USB stick got
executable permission and execution directly from USB was possible.

BT> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 23:10 CST Roland Turcan wrote:

>><<< 16.08.2011 22:18:49 - Roland Turcan "konf@rotursoft.sk" >>>
>>RT> <<< 16.08.2011 18:05:33 - Johnny Rosenberg "gurus.knugum@gmail.com" >>>

>>RT> No, I meant to start any bash script using double click from USB
>>RT> stick.
>>
>>I don't believe that no one knows the solution here.
>>
>>Please help me!
>>
>>--
>>Best regards, TRoland
>>http://www.rotursoft.sk
>>http://exekutor.rotursoft.sk
>>

>>--

Best regards, TRoland
http://www.rotursoft.sk
http://exekutor.rotursoft.sk

Old 08-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Roland Turcan

<<< 23.08.2011 9:18:05 - Ben Tinner "bentinner@yahoo.com.sg" >>>
BT> Did you make the script executable?

The problem is that "chmod +x" doesn't help, because it has no effect
and the file will not have executable anyway.

The best solution is to get the "auto mounting" process back to the
state as it was in 10.04 or older where all files from USB stick got
executable permission and execution directly from USB was possible.

BT> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 23:10 CST Roland Turcan wrote:

>><<< 16.08.2011 22:18:49 - Roland Turcan "konf@rotursoft.sk" >>>
>>RT> <<< 16.08.2011 18:05:33 - Johnny Rosenberg "gurus.knugum@gmail.com" >>>

>>RT> No, I meant to start any bash script using double click from USB
>>RT> stick.
>>
>>I don't believe that no one knows the solution here.
>>
>>Please help me!
>>
>>--
>>Best regards, TRoland
>>http://www.rotursoft.sk
>>http://exekutor.rotursoft.sk
>>

>>--

Best regards, TRoland
http://www.rotursoft.sk
http://exekutor.rotursoft.sk

Old 08-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/8/23 Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 15:18 +0800, Ben Tinner wrote:
>> Did you make the script executable?
>>
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 23:10 CST Roland Turcan wrote:
>>

> Someone else please remind these folks to not top post.. I'm getting
> tired. And old, ...and too low on patience. I might get all cranky.
> Alan, would someone make the list rules OBVIOUS, like right there part
> of the sign-up page? Oh please... you know, we just can't depend on a
> person lurking a bit to get the overall flavor of the list to try to fit
> in. I'm gonna go fsck my harddrive, to stay out of trouble. * Ric

Maybe the solution could be to filter out all messages that are top
posted. That way, those who top posts never gets any replies… ;D
Maybe those messages could get an autoreply instead, such as:
”Your message didn't follow the rules of this list. Did you top
post?”, followed by the rules. Well, something like that anyway…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ