Old 08-15-2011, 07:04 PM
tom

Default adding video card

Hello: I'm running ubuntu 11.04 on a Dell G260 desktop. I just
purchased a 19" Philips HDTV. I want to add a video card with HDMI
outlet, and use the tv as computer monitor. Has anyone done something
similar? Does Ubuntu "see" the new video card and use it in place of
the factory setup, automagically? Will I have issues with this item?
Thanks, Tom

Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 14:04 -0500, tom wrote:
> Hello: I'm running ubuntu 11.04 on a Dell G260 desktop. I just
> purchased a 19" Philips HDTV. I want to add a video card with HDMI
> outlet, and use the tv as computer monitor. Has anyone done something
> similar? Does Ubuntu "see" the new video card and use it in place of
> the factory setup, automagically? Will I have issues with this item?
> Thanks, Tom

You'll have to play with the system video configuration, depending on
the type of video card you add. I've had best luck with nVidia. The
display will depend on the quality of the HDTV as to the results of the
connection to it. It can only do what it can do. YMMV, Ric

Linux user# 44256