Old 08-14-2011, 08:14 PM
"Charlie Zender"

Default Dell WiFi key Fn+F2 breaks Intel WiFi on Natty

(identical to previous post but includes subject this time)

Hi,

I have now noticed this WiFi bug in Ubuntu Natty on two
different Dell laptops, a Precision m6300 and a Precision m6500.
Both these laptops use Intel wireless cards.
On these machines if I do the standard Dell hardware keypress to
turn WiFi off/on (Fn+F2 = blue function key + F2), then the WiFi
does turn off but _it will not turn back on the next time_.
The visual indicator is that the blue LED keyboard light that
indicates WiFi activity on Dells goes dark and stays dark.
Sadly, rebooting does not solve the problem.
The WiFi is permanently disabled in Linux by pressing Fn+F2.

Both these machines are dual-boot, and when running Windows
the WiFi works flawlessly and the Fn+F2 key behaves as expected.
How do I get the Linux WiFi working again? Both machines use
the standard network manager (NM) + applet to manage wireless.
Now that WiFi is disabled the NM applet does not see the WiFi,
so this is not a matter of configuring access points etc.
The WiFi seems to be turned off in hardware.

Any help appreciated,
Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, Department of Earth System Science
University of California, Irvine (949) 891-2429

Old 08-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Nils Kassube

Charlie Zender wrote:
> On these machines if I do the standard Dell hardware keypress to
> turn WiFi off/on (Fn+F2 = blue function key + F2), then the WiFi
> does turn off but _it will not turn back on the next time_.

> Sadly, rebooting does not solve the problem.
> The WiFi is permanently disabled in Linux by pressing Fn+F2.

Check your BIOS if there is a wifi default setting. If the options are
"disabled" and "no change", the second option should be to right one.

> Both these machines are dual-boot, and when running Windows
> the WiFi works flawlessly and the Fn+F2 key behaves as expected.

You could also try to boot Windows and then reboot after enabling wifi,
maybe it stays enabled.

Nils

Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 PM
NoOp

On 08/14/2011 01:59 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Charlie Zender wrote:
>> On these machines if I do the standard Dell hardware keypress to
>> turn WiFi off/on (Fn+F2 = blue function key + F2), then the WiFi
>> does turn off but _it will not turn back on the next time_.
>
>> Sadly, rebooting does not solve the problem.
>> The WiFi is permanently disabled in Linux by pressing Fn+F2.
>
> Check your BIOS if there is a wifi default setting. If the options are
> "disabled" and "no change", the second option should be to right one.
>
>> Both these machines are dual-boot, and when running Windows
>> the WiFi works flawlessly and the Fn+F2 key behaves as expected.
>
> You could also try to boot Windows and then reboot after enabling wifi,
> maybe it stays enabled.
My HP G60 has that issue. I discovered quite by accident after I'd
disabled in Win7 & booted to 10.10 that Wifi wouldn't turn on. So I
booted back to Win7 to test; after leaving it on in Win7 & then
rebooting back to 10.10 all was working again. Pretty odd & I've not
bothered to dig into the problem, but I suspect it has something to do
with Win7 setting a flag in the bios.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 08/14/2011 05:08 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/14/2011 01:59 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> My HP G60 has that issue. I discovered quite by accident after I'd
> disabled in Win7 & booted to 10.10 that Wifi wouldn't turn on. So I
> booted back to Win7 to test; after leaving it on in Win7 & then
> rebooting back to 10.10 all was working again. Pretty odd & I've not
> bothered to dig into the problem, but I suspect it has something to do
> with Win7 setting a flag in the bios.

I believe you guys are on about an old bug in the Kernel that should
have been fixed by now, that bug is almost 9 months old now, but in case
it's not fixed in Ubuntu yet try:

sudo rfkill unblock wifi

Somebody else mentioned the wifi button and the bios, that was a fix
too, to disable the wifi button in the bios /should/ fix the problem.
If it's hardblocked you'll need to remove the driver, rfkill and then
add the driver again.

I would search for an Ubuntu bug but searching for something like this
is going to be so ambiguous and I don't have the time right now but when
I get done working I'll be more then glad to try and track down a bug
for you and post it back to the list.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:17 AM
NoOp

On 08/14/2011 03:28 PM, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 08/14/2011 05:08 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> On 08/14/2011 01:59 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
>> My HP G60 has that issue. I discovered quite by accident after I'd
>> disabled in Win7 & booted to 10.10 that Wifi wouldn't turn on. So I
>> booted back to Win7 to test; after leaving it on in Win7 & then
>> rebooting back to 10.10 all was working again. Pretty odd & I've not
>> bothered to dig into the problem, but I suspect it has something to do
>> with Win7 setting a flag in the bios.
>
> I believe you guys are on about an old bug in the Kernel that should
> have been fixed by now, that bug is almost 9 months old now, but in case
> it's not fixed in Ubuntu yet try:
>
> sudo rfkill unblock wifi
>
> Somebody else mentioned the wifi button and the bios, that was a fix
> too, to disable the wifi button in the bios /should/ fix the problem.
> If it's hardblocked you'll need to remove the driver, rfkill and then
> add the driver again.
>
> I would search for an Ubuntu bug but searching for something like this
> is going to be so ambiguous and I don't have the time right now but when
> I get done working I'll be more then glad to try and track down a bug
> for you and post it back to the list.

Thanks Jordan. I'll check on my HP later this evening; I've the most
recent Maverick & Natty kernals on the laptop.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:31 PM
NoOp

On 08/14/2011 07:17 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/14/2011 03:28 PM, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
>> I believe you guys are on about an old bug in the Kernel that should
>> have been fixed by now, that bug is almost 9 months old now, but in case
>> it's not fixed in Ubuntu yet try:
>>
>> sudo rfkill unblock wifi
>>
>> Somebody else mentioned the wifi button and the bios, that was a fix
>> too, to disable the wifi button in the bios /should/ fix the problem.
>> If it's hardblocked you'll need to remove the driver, rfkill and then
>> add the driver again.
>>
>> I would search for an Ubuntu bug but searching for something like this
>> is going to be so ambiguous and I don't have the time right now but when
>> I get done working I'll be more then glad to try and track down a bug
>> for you and post it back to the list.
>>

> Thanks Jordan. I'll check on my HP later this evening; I've the most
> recent Maverick & Natty kernals on the laptop.

The issue is still apparent in Maverick (2.6.35-30-generic). Just booted
to Win7, turned off wifi, booted to Maverick & wifi was off. Wifi button
on the laptop not working. Did 'sudo rfkill unblock wifi' and that
indeed turned wifi back on. Thanks!

Replicated in Natty: booted back to Win7 first to ensure the wifi button
was off in Win7 (it was), then booted to Natty (2.6.38.11-generic).
Exact same results as Maverick. Note: after issuing 'sudo rfkill unblock
wifi' the wifi on/off button does work on the laptop during the Ubuntu
session.

This thread:
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1677127>
suggests that blacklisting 'acer-wmi' may resolve the problem. If I get
a chance later today I'll give it a try.

Also found this:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/771758>
[acer-wmi prevents wifi (bcmwl/brcm80211) from working]
Natty Fix Committed
Oneiric Fix Released

Old 08-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Nils Kassube

Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> sudo rfkill unblock wifi

Great! That will help a friend of mine who had the same problem with one
of his machines. Thanks a lot.

Nils