Old 08-14-2011, 08:02 PM
kyan

Default backup file

An entire disk. Split using the command line. I want to mount it so I
can extract data from it. It's on a FAT file system though (so I can't
cat it together again — it will have to be handled like a split
archive). I don't recall exactly how I made it — it was quite a while
ago.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 08/14/2011 03:02 PM, kyan wrote:
> An entire disk. Split using the command line. I want to mount it so I
> can extract data from it. It's on a FAT file system though (so I can't
> cat it together again — it will have to be handled like a split
> archive). I don't recall exactly how I made it — it was quite a while
> ago.

And how exactly do you think any utility is going to handle that?
They'll combine it, the first file holds all the information so try
using afuse to combine it and then mount the afuse combination.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 PM
NoOp

On 08/14/2011 01:02 PM, kyan wrote:
> An entire disk. Split using the command line. I want to mount it so I
> can extract data from it. It's on a FAT file system though (so I can't
> cat it together again — it will have to be handled like a split
> archive). I don't recall exactly how I made it — it was quite a while
> ago.

So you're saying the example from the first link isn't applicable?

<quote>
To restore the multi-file backup, do the following:

# cat /mnt/hdc1/backup.img.gz.* | gzip -dc | dd of=/dev/hda1

Cat recombines contents of the compressed and split image files to
stdout, in order.
Results are piped through gzip for decompression.
And are then written to the first partition of the hard drive with dd.
</quote>

Have to admit that I don't actually know for sure & perhaps others can
verify.

Note: please bottom post on this list.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Futuramerlin

Cool, that looks like it would work! Thanks. I didn't realise the cat
output didn't have to be written to disk to be mounted. Cool.

On 14 August 2011 16:32, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 08/14/2011 01:02 PM, kyan wrote:
>> An entire disk. Split using the command line. I want to mount it so I
>> can extract data from it. It's on a FAT file system though (so I can't
>> cat it together again — it will have to be handled like a split
>> archive). I don't recall exactly how I made it — it was quite a while
>> ago.
>
> So you're saying the example from the first link isn't applicable?
>
> <quote>
> To restore the multi-file backup, do the following:
>
> # cat /mnt/hdc1/backup.img.gz.* | gzip -dc | dd of=/dev/hda1
>
> * *Cat recombines contents of the compressed and split image files to
> stdout, in order.
> * *Results are piped through gzip for decompression.
> * *And are then written to the first partition of the hard drive with dd.
> </quote>
>
> Have to admit that I don't actually know for sure & perhaps others can
> verify.
>
> Note: please bottom post on this list.

>>> Perhaps these will be helpful:
>>> http://www.softpanorama.org/Tools/dd.shtml
>>> [see: Getting around file size limitations using split on the same page]

—Elliot Wallace

http://futuramerlin.com/
info@futuramerlin.com