Old 08-14-2011, 06:09 PM
kyan

Default backup file

Hello! How can I open a file made by dding and splitting a device file?
Basically it's an 80 gig backup split into**about a hundred parts.*Thanks.
—kyan

Old 08-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 14:09 -0400, kyan wrote:
> Hello! How can I open a file made by dding and splitting a device file?
> Basically it's an 80 gig backup split into about a hundred parts. Thanks.
----
generally you would 'cat' the files together again.

cat file1 >> newfile
cat file2 >> newfile
etc.

but for a good answer, you should probably share the entire methods used
to create the pieces

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Nils Kassube

kyan wrote:
> Hello! How can I open a file made by dding and splitting a device
> file? Basically it's an 80 gig backup split into about a hundred
> parts. Thanks. —kyan

Please elaborate.

- What type of device file? /dev/zero or an entire disc or partition?
- How did you split it?
- What do you mean with "open a file"?
- What do you want to achieve?

Nils

Old 08-14-2011, 06:44 PM
NoOp

On 08/14/2011 11:09 AM, kyan wrote:
> Hello! How can I open a file made by dding and splitting a device file?
> Basically it's an 80 gig backup split into about a hundred parts. Thanks.
> —kyan

Perhaps these will be helpful:
http://www.softpanorama.org/Tools/dd.shtml
[see: Getting around file size limitations using split on the same page]
and
http://linuxconfig.org/practical-guide-to-linux-commands
[split & cat]