Old 08-14-2011, 04:42 AM
"H.S.Rai"

Default Command in terminal: Unable to work in 11.04

After upgrading to 11.04, I find almost difficult to work in console
mode. If I had a single file file.txt in folder Document, then on
typing (in bash shell)

ls Doc TAB used to complete it as:

ls Document/

and then further TAB used to display

ls Document/file.txt

But now "ls Doc" and then TAB used to complete it as:

ls Document SPACE

I have to press BACKSPACE and then type / then TAB to get:

ls Document/file.txt

The worst thing happen that I am unable to mv or cp file containing
space in filename. Earlier I used to escape space with , now
disappeared and space work without but command give error. See
below.

$ ls -trl F*.pdf
-rw-r--r-- 1 tcc tcc 19197316 2011-08-13 21:28 FOSS4G at EduSAT-2011Aug.pdf
$ mv FOSS4G at EduSAT-2011Aug.pdf ~/Documents/IIRS_OSM/.
mv: cannot stat `FOSS4G': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `at': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `EduSAT-2011Aug.pdf': No such file or directory

How to work in console mode. Do we need to re-learn agian?

--
H.S.Rai

Old 08-14-2011, 04:47 AM
Md Ashickur Rahman Noor

mv fileName destinationName----------------------------------------------------------
Dedicated Linux Forum in Bangladesh

Follow Me Twiter
Thank you
Md Ashickur Rahman

Old 08-14-2011, 04:52 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 08/13/2011 11:42 PM, H.S.Rai wrote:
> After upgrading to 11.04, I find almost difficult to work in console
> mode. If I had a single file file.txt in folder Document, then on
> typing (in bash shell)
>
> ls Doc TAB used to complete it as:
>
> ls Document/
>
> and then further TAB used to display
>
> ls Document/file.txt
>
> But now "ls Doc" and then TAB used to complete it as:
>
> ls Document SPACE
>
> I have to press BACKSPACE and then type / then TAB to get:
>
> ls Document/file.txt
>
> The worst thing happen that I am unable to mv or cp file containing
> space in filename. Earlier I used to escape space with , now
> disappeared and space work without but command give error. See
> below.
>
> $ ls -trl F*.pdf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 tcc tcc 19197316 2011-08-13 21:28 FOSS4G at EduSAT-2011Aug.pdf
> $ mv FOSS4G at EduSAT-2011Aug.pdf ~/Documents/IIRS_OSM/.
> mv: cannot stat `FOSS4G': No such file or directory
> mv: cannot stat `at': No such file or directory
> mv: cannot stat `EduSAT-2011Aug.pdf': No such file or directory
>
> How to work in console mode. Do we need to re-learn agian?

mv "FOSS4G at EduSAT-2011Aug.pdf" ~/Documents/IIRS_OSM

The rest of it seems like a problem with completion, you'll have to
verify it's legit and file a bug. I couldn't help you there since I
still prefer to type everything out in full unless it's recalling a past
command.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:46 AM
"H.S.Rai"

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:

> mv "FOSS4G at EduSAT-2011Aug.pdf" ~/Documents/IIRS_OSM

It worked, but I never used " this way earlier.

> The rest of it seems like a problem with completion, you'll have to
> verify it's legit and file a bug. *I couldn't help you there since I
> still prefer to type everything out in full unless it's recalling a past
> command.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bash-completion/+bug/789153

suggest to use zsh in place of bash ;-)

Bug is at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bash-completion/+bug/769866

--
H.S.Rai

Old 08-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Rashkae

After upgrading to 11.04, I find almost difficult to work in console
mode. If I had a single file file.txt in folder Document, then on
typing (in bash shell)

ls Doc TAB used to complete it as:

ls Document/

and then further TAB used to display

ls Document/file.txt

But now "ls Doc" and then TAB used to complete it as:

I have to press BACKSPACE and then type / then TAB to get:

ls Document/file.txt

Look in /etc/bash_completion.d folder for an "ls" file. If there is
one, then move it somewhere else and open a new console to test your
auto-completion. As far as I can tell, Bash auto-completion hasn't changed.

disappeared? can you be more specific? does key not work on your
keyboard?? is still how you escape characters (like spaces) in the
command line. That hasn't changed. As others have said, you can use "
" to escape spaces. But you still need a working sometimes, (such as,
if you need to escape a " in a file name)

Old 08-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Rashkae

Look in /etc/bash_completion.d folder for an "ls" file. If there is
one, then move it somewhere else and open a new console to test your
auto-completion. As far as I can tell, Bash auto-completion hasn't
changed.

Please ignore that comment.. Someone above already linked to the
relevant bug and solution.