Old 08-14-2011, 04:05 AM
Rajeev Prasad

Default setting time to GMT is not working, getting BST only :(

someone pointed out that may previous email went to wrong thread. so i am resending the issue, in a fresh email to ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com*as i was informed on joining the list. hope it reaches to audiance in correct context. thx.*..."To post to this list, send your email to:

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com"...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++Hello, I want my ubuntu server to run GMT time, it is running inside a VM which is running on a windowx XP box -
windows xp bnox is set to CST. currently it is showing BST, which is 1 hr ahead of GMT. I want it to show UTC time, not sure how to config it. $ date
Fri Aug 12 19:26:19 BST 2011
$ grep -i TZ /etc/init.d/rcS
$ $ cat /etc/default/rcS
#
# /etc/default/rcS
#
# Default settings for the scripts in /etc/rcS.d/
#
# For information about these variables see the rcS(5) manual page.
#
# This file belongs to the "initscripts" package.TMPTIME=0
SULOGIN=no
DELAYLOGIN=no
UTC=yes
VERBOSE=no
FSCKFIX=no
(i do not see UTC listed as timezone...) $ cat
/etc/timezone
Europe/London
$ dpkg-query --list ntp*
||/ Name Version Description
+++-=====================================-=====================================-================================================== ========================================
ii ntp 1:4.2.4p8+dfsg-1ubuntu6.1 Network Time Protocol daemon and utility programs
un ntp-doc <none> (no description available)
ii ntpdate 1:4.2.4p8+dfsg-1ubuntu6.1 client for setting system time from NTP servers
$ grep -v "^#"
/etc/ntp.confdriftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.driftstatistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enablerestrict -4 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
restrict -6 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noqueryrestrict 127.0.0.1
restrict ::1server wuarchive.wustl.edu
server ntp-0.cso.uiuc.edu
$ sudo /etc/init.d/ntp status
* NTP server is running
$ ntpq --numeric --peers
remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter

Old 08-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Nils Kassube

Rajeev Prasad wrote:
> someone pointed out that may previous email went to wrong thread. so
> i am resending the issue, in a fresh email to
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com as i was informed on joining the list.
> hope it reaches to audiance in correct context. thx.

Yes, this looks good.

> I want my ubuntu server to run GMT time, it is running inside a VM
> which is running on a windowx XP box - windows xp bnox is set to
> CST. currently it is showing BST, which is 1 hr ahead of GMT. I want
> it to show UTC time, not sure how to config it.

Try the command

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

and choose "Etc" as region, then "UTC" as time zone.

Nils

Old 08-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Rajeev Prasad

thanks Nils, it fixed the issue.