Old 08-13-2011, 09:12 AM
user1

Default text blurry (slurred) on ubuntu maverick 10.10

I am using ubuntu maverick 10.10.

The text on the screen becomes slurred and blurry and almost unreadable
from time to time?

Old 08-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Liam Proven

On 13 August 2011 10:12, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
> I am using ubuntu maverick 10.10.
>
> The text on the screen becomes slurred and blurry and almost unreadable
> from time to time?

You will need to provide a lot more information.

What kind of computer? What model of graphics card? What driver and
what revision? What kind of monitor or display?

Old 08-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 14:43 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 13 August 2011 10:12, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
> > I am using ubuntu maverick 10.10.
> >
> > The text on the screen becomes slurred and blurry and almost unreadable
> > from time to time?
>
> You will need to provide a lot more information.
>
> What kind of computer? What model of graphics card? What driver and
> what revision? What kind of monitor or display?

The brand name and proof for the tequila would be good. Sorry, <grins>
but is this onboard graphics with shared memory?? Or a dedicated
graphics card? Like Liam sez, we need some info. Ric
Linux user# 44256

Old 08-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Nils Kassube

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 14:43 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> > On 13 August 2011 10:12, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
> > > I am using ubuntu maverick 10.10.
> > >
> > > The text on the screen becomes slurred and blurry and almost
> > > unreadable from time to time?
> >
> > You will need to provide a lot more information.
> >
> > What kind of computer? What model of graphics card? What driver and
> > what revision? What kind of monitor or display?
>
> The brand name and proof for the tequila would be good. Sorry,
> <grins> but is this onboard graphics with shared memory?? Or a
> dedicated graphics card? Like Liam sez, we need some info. Ric

The command

sudo lshw -c display

in a terminal reveals the wanted details about your graphics hardware.
Another useful info is the native resolution of the monitor and the
actually used resolution. The command

xrandr

should reveal that detail. If the used resolution isn't the native
resolution of the monitor, it could become blurry - depending on the
scaling factor. I'm not sure if that is true for a CRT monitor, but LCDs
don't work too well with lower resolution than the native one.

Nils

Old 08-14-2011, 09:03 PM
user1

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 23:23:12 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Ric Moore wrote:

>> > You will need to provide a lot more information.

> sudo lshw -c display
>
> in a terminal reveals the wanted details about your graphics hardware.
> Another useful info is the native resolution of the monitor and the
> actually used resolution. The command
>
> xrandr
>
> should reveal that detail. If the used resolution isn't the native
> resolution of the monitor, it could become blurry - depending on the
> scaling factor. I'm not sure if that is true for a CRT monitor, but LCDs
> don't work too well with lower resolution than the native one.
>

> Nils

####

~$ sudo lshw -c display
[sudo] password for user1:
*-display
product: G86 [GeForce 8400M GS]
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list
rom
configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
resources: irq:19 memory:ce000000-ceffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff
memory:cc000000-cdffffff ioport:4000(size=128)

~$ xrandr
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 175, current 1440 x 900, maximum 1440 x 900
default connected 1440x900+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1440x900 50.0*
1360x768 51.0 52.0
1152x864 53.0
1024x768 54.0 55.0 56.0 57.0
960x600 58.0
960x540 59.0
840x525 60.0 61.0 62.0
832x624 63.0
800x600 64.0 65.0 66.0 67.0 68.0 69.0
70.0
800x512 71.0
720x450 72.0
720x400 73.0
700x525 74.0 75.0 76.0
680x384 77.0 78.0
640x512 79.0 80.0 81.0
640x480 82.0 83.0 84.0 85.0 86.0 87.0
640x400 88.0
640x350 89.0
576x432 90.0 91.0 92.0 93.0 94.0 95.0
96.0
512x384 97.0 98.0 99.0 100.0 101.0
416x312 102.0
400x300 103.0 104.0 105.0 106.0 107.0
360x200 108.0
320x240 109.0 110.0 111.0 112.0
320x200 113.0
320x175 114.0

Here are specifications of my HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop
http://www.minihowto.org/hp_dv9540_spec.html

I have googled for an answer, and it seems that this problem is well
known to other people as well :-)

Old 08-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 21:03 +0000, user1 wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 23:23:12 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
>
> > Ric Moore wrote:

nVidia ...just crank up nVidia X Server Settings
(/usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig) and let it detect and set your monitor for you
and then let it write out your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. That should do
the trick for you. Log out and login again. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-15-2011, 05:01 PM
user1

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 18:51:55 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 21:03 +0000, user1 wrote:

> nVidia ...just crank up nVidia X Server Settings
> (/usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig) and let it detect and set your monitor for you
> and then let it write out your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. That should do
> the trick for you. Log out and login again. Ric

I tried to do that, but the problem is still there.

Most of the time everything is fine.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 17:01 +0000, user1 wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 18:51:55 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> > nVidia ...just crank up nVidia X Server Settings
> > (/usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig) and let it detect and set your monitor for you
> > and then let it write out your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. That should do
> > the trick for you. Log out and login again. Ric
>
> I tried to do that, but the problem is still there.
>
> Most of the time everything is fine.

I just installed a new motherboard and used the onboard graphics until I
could install my nVidia card. There were times when the display went
wonky, showing blips and tears, and running slow. There were some
settings in my bios that I dinked with, which seemed to help. One was
setting the video ram to less than 4 megs, when I was running on just
one 4 gig chip. Makes sense... so you might check. Now that I have my
dedicated card in, no prob. I'm just not a laptop type person. I like to
get into the innards. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Nils Kassube

user1 wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 18:51:55 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > nVidia ...just crank up nVidia X Server Settings
> > (/usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig) and let it detect and set your monitor
> > for you and then let it write out your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
> > That should do the trick for you. Log out and login again. Ric
>
> I tried to do that, but the problem is still there.
>
> Most of the time everything is fine.

From the output of xrandr (that you posted in another mail) we know that
you use the native resolution of the display. But is it still that
resolution when the display is blurry? That would be rather strange
IMHO.

Nils