Old 08-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Rajeev Prasad

Default setting time to GMT not working.

Hello,
*
I want my ubuntu server to run GMT time, it is running inside a VM which is running on a windowx XP box* - windows xp bnox is set to CST.
*
currently it is showing BST, which is 1 hr ahead of GMT. I want it to show UTC time, not sure how to config it.
*
*
$ date
Fri Aug 12 19:26:19 BST 2011

$ grep -i TZ /etc/init.d/rcS
$
*
*
$ cat /etc/default/rcS
#
# /etc/default/rcS
#
# Default settings for the scripts in /etc/rcS.d/
#
# For information about these variables see the rcS(5) manual page.
#
# This file belongs to the "initscripts" package.
TMPTIME=0
SULOGIN=no
DELAYLOGIN=no
UTC=yes
VERBOSE=no
FSCKFIX=no

*
(i do not see UTC listed as timezone...)
*
$ cat /etc/timezone
Europe/London

$ dpkg-query --list ntp*
||/ Name********************************* Version****************************** Description
+++-=====================================-=====================================-================================================== ========================================
ii*
ntp********************************** 1:4.2.4p8+dfsg-1ubuntu6.1************ Network Time Protocol daemon and utility programs
un* ntp-doc****************************** <none>******************************* (no description available)
ii*
ntpdate****************************** 1:4.2.4p8+dfsg-1ubuntu6.1************ client for setting system time from NTP servers

$ grep -v "^#" /etc/ntp.conf
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable
restrict -4 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
restrict -6 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict ::1
server wuarchive.wustl.edu
server ntp-0.cso.uiuc.edu