Old 08-12-2011, 04:02 AM
Bill Stanley

Default Cloned MAC address?

I was exploring the GNOME desktop and found something interesting. When
right clicking the Network management Applet icon there is an item that
says "Edit Connections". I clicked on this and then on one of the
items, "Auto Eth0", which the applet says is never used. There is
nothing interesting yet but one of the options is "cloned MAC address".
Is a different MAC address reported to the Internet instead of the
actual MAC address? I don't intend to do anything or do any editing of
the settings, I am just curious.

Bill Stanley