Old 02-15-2008, 12:44 PM
stan

Default Virtual machine with XP as a geust on 64 bit X86

I need to run a windoze executable, which depends on IE. So, I would like to
install an XP VM on one of my machines. This machine has the X86 64 bit
version of Ubuntu installed on it.

What are my options here, What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks.
programs.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:20 PM
galt

Install Crossover, then IE, then your program

or

Install VMware and XP vm

Old 02-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Derek Broughton

Please don't top-post - it makes it hard to have a conversation.

galt wrote:

> Install Crossover, then IE, then your program
>
> or
>
> Install VMware and XP vm

You're kind of short on options, and you didn't cover the pros and cons:

Wine: troublesome if you really need IE, but not everything that "depends"
on IE, _really_ needs IE. Apps that used to fail without IE often now work
with the gecko plugin that Wine installs automatically.

VirtualBox (at least, I think it works for 64bit): imo, now a better option
than VMWare.

I would install Wine, install the program under wine, and see if it works.
If it doesn't, it's only cost you a few minutes. Crossover has a cost, but
it's not much - but I'd want to know it actually worked for the application
first.

VirtualBox or VMWare will always run your Windows app, but you need a
licensed copy of Windows (they won't run OEM versions of XP after 30 days),
and you need to dedicate a considerable amount of your disk for the virtual
Windows disk. I have a virtualbox image running XP in 3GB

--
derek