Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Gary

Default Printer sharing SOLVED

On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 18:50 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/09/2011 06:44 AM, G. wrote:
> > I am trying to share a Canon MP 250 attached to a windows 7 computer.
> > I have tried ipp as well as Samba. It appears the problem is W7 does
> > not recognize the password. I can share files back and forth just
> > fine.
> >
> > In ipp I entered 192.168.0.8:631 in host and printers/Canon (the name
> > I gave the printer on the W7 machine).
>
> What version of Win7? Win7 Home Premium does not support IPP and you
> need to use http instead.
>

> > In Samba WORKGROUP/192.168.0.8:631/Canon. I have tried using
> > HomeGroup which is the W7 configuation. I have tried dropping the
> > :631.
> >
> > In each instance when it asks for a user name and password, I am told
> > the password may be incorrect.
>
> Is the Win7 printer marked as shared? When you try to login are you
> using the Win7 username + password?

So here was the problem: wrong password. I was trying the password that
W7 assigned to HomeGroup. Instead I used the main windows password and
I got in. Then I found the PPD for the MP250 under Filesystem/etc/CUPS.
That installed the driver. All this was using SAMBA.

Thanks!!!

gary

Old 08-11-2011, 03:33 PM
NoOp

On 08/11/2011 01:28 AM, Gary wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 18:50 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> Is the Win7 printer marked as shared? When you try to login are you
>> using the Win7 username + password?
>>

> So here was the problem: wrong password. I was trying the password that
> W7 assigned to HomeGroup. Instead I used the main windows password and
> I got in. Then I found the PPD for the MP250 under Filesystem/etc/CUPS.
> That installed the driver. All this was using SAMBA.
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> gary

Happy printing :-)

Old 08-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Gary

On Thu, 2011-08-11 at 08:33 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/11/2011 01:28 AM, Gary wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 18:50 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> >> Is the Win7 printer marked as shared? When you try to login are you
> >> using the Win7 username + password?
> >>

> > So here was the problem: wrong password. I was trying the password that
> > W7 assigned to HomeGroup. Instead I used the main windows password and
> > I got in. Then I found the PPD for the MP250 under Filesystem/etc/CUPS.
> > That installed the driver. All this was using SAMBA.
> >
> > Thanks!!!
> >
> > gary
> >

> Happy printing :-)

Thanks!