Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Horton

Default Keyboard Usability

First. Ubuntu is great, and I've enjoyed it a lot so far.

But, I have problem trying to move from Windows.

My hands are partially crippled. To use the keyboard as fast as I need,
I have to swap some keys around.

On Windows I use Auto Hotkey. What is the Ubuntu equivalent?

Old 08-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Steve Flynn

First. Ubuntu is great, and I've enjoyed it a lot so far.

But, I have problem trying to move from Windows.

My hands are partially crippled. To use the keyboard as fast as I need, I have to swap some keys around.

On Windows I use Auto Hotkey. What is the Ubuntu equivalent?

Maybe some of these will have the functionality you need - can't say for definite though; not needed AHK anywhere other than work.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766596*
--
Steve

When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Horton

*

--

Steve

I looked at that.

"xbindkeys
is a program that allows
you to launch shell commands with your keyboard or your mouse under
X Window"

I only use most simple function of Auto Hotkeys, not create macros
or start programs.

I think I must change the key mapping. I tried to understand xmodmap
and xkeycap, but can't make them work.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Steve Flynn

I only use most simple function of Auto Hotkeys, not create macros
or start programs.

I think I must change the key mapping. I tried to understand xmodmap
and xkeycap, but can't make them work.

I see - I made the assumption you used the automation side of AHK more heavily. If you really just need to move a few keys around, then xmodmap is your friend.

Take a look at*http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/xmodmap.1.html*(or even "man xmodmap") for further information, or give me a description of what you want to achieve and I'll assist you in writing the xmodmap config file. It's pretty straightforward to do... there's a nice example of swapping Caps Lock and Left control...*

!
! Swap Caps_Lock and Control_L
!
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
remove Control = Control_L
keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
add Lock = Caps_Lock
add Control = Control_L--*Steve

When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/8/11 Horton <fghorton@knology.net>:
> First. Ubuntu is great, and I've enjoyed it a lot so far.
>
> But, I have problem trying to move from Windows.
>
> My hands are partially crippled. To use the keyboard as fast as I need, I
> have to swap some keys around.
> On Windows I use Auto Hotkey. What is the Ubuntu equivalent?

AutoKey. Written in Python. I use it all the time (like my signature below).
http://code.google.com/p/autokey/

There is even a special version for GTK (autokey-gtk) and there is a
PPA so you can have updates automatically.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 08-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/8/11 Horton <fghorton@knology.net>:
> First. Ubuntu is great, and I've enjoyed it a lot so far.
>
> But, I have problem trying to move from Windows.
>
> My hands are partially crippled. To use the keyboard as fast as I need, I
> have to swap some keys around.

If you just want to move some keys, you can just create your own
keyboard layout or change the existing one. Which keys do you have in
mind?
Have a look in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols
There are a lot of files, one for each language or country. Select
yours. In my case it would be ”se”, in your case probably one of the
others…
Then I would do a backup of it to ”se.backup” or something like that.
Maybe ”se.old”. Then open ”se” as root (administrator) and move some
keys around.
I guess you will need some help on the way, so my first question is:
What is your country and language?

You can also do what I did: I created my own layout completely from
scratch (almost), and I made it a variant of my language, so now I can
easily switch between ”Sverige” and ”Sverige Johnny Rosenberg” by
clicking an icon in the upper panel… You need to edit three files to
do that, but I can guide you step by step if you like, but I need to
know exactly what you want to accomplish (which characters are going
to be on which keys and so on).

I have even done a small script that lets me install my keyboard
layout automatically, in case I install a new version of Ubuntu from
scratch some time. That is not very hard to do. I could guide you
through that too, I guess.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ