Old 08-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

Default Tomboy – where are the files?

Using Ubuntu 10.10 I found that Tomboy no longer seems to save my
notes in ~/.config/tomboy or in ~/.tomboy.

In ~/.tomboy I found 19 notes I think, but they were old; the newest
one was from February 2010, and I wrote tenths of notes today
(something like 50 notes, I think).
In ~/.config/tomboy there were no notes at all.

As a workaround I let Tomboy sync them to a local folder
(~/Tomboy-synkronisering). This works great, so now my new notes are
backed up among my other files to my USB drive every day, but now to
my question:
Where are the ORIGINAL files?

I tried to find out myself by copying the name of one of the notes in
my sync folder and then search for it, first in ~/ and then in the
whole system, but nothing was found…!
So where are they? Not that I really need to know, since the sync
workaround works fine, but I am still curious…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Wes James

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Johnny Rosenberg
<gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> my question:
> Where are the ORIGINAL files?
>
> I tried to find out myself by copying the name of one of the notes in
> my sync folder and then search for it, first in ~/ and then in the
> whole system, but nothing was found…!
> So where are they? Not that I really need to know, since the sync
> workaround works fine, but I am still curious…

Google has this:

but I don't know if is relevant to the current version.

-wes

Old 08-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Colin Law

On 10 August 2011 19:51, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> Using Ubuntu 10.10 I found that Tomboy no longer seems to save my
> notes in ~/.config/tomboy or in ~/.tomboy.
>
> In ~/.tomboy I found 19 notes I think, but they were old; the newest
> one was from February 2010, and I wrote tenths of notes today
> (something like 50 notes, I think).
> In ~/.config/tomboy there were no notes at all.
>
> As a workaround I let Tomboy sync them to a local folder
> (~/Tomboy-synkronisering). This works great, so now my new notes are
> backed up among my other files to my USB drive every day, but now to
> my question:
> Where are the ORIGINAL files?

Try ~/.local/share/tomboy

Colin

Old 08-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/8/10 Wes James <comptekki@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Johnny Rosenberg
> <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> my question:
>> Where are the ORIGINAL files?
>>
>> I tried to find out myself by copying the name of one of the notes in
>> my sync folder and then search for it, first in ~/ and then in the
>> whole system, but nothing was found…!
>> So where are they? Not that I really need to know, since the sync
>> workaround works fine, but I am still curious…
>
> Google has this:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8359053
>
> but I don't know if is relevant to the current version.
>
> -wes

Thanks! Found them!

I googled too, but for some strange reason I only found forum thread
with no or wrong (old) answers.

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/8/10 Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>:
> On 10 August 2011 19:51, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Using Ubuntu 10.10 I found that Tomboy no longer seems to save my
>> notes in ~/.config/tomboy or in ~/.tomboy.
>>
>> In ~/.tomboy I found 19 notes I think, but they were old; the newest
>> one was from February 2010, and I wrote tenths of notes today
>> (something like 50 notes, I think).
>> In ~/.config/tomboy there were no notes at all.
>>
>> As a workaround I let Tomboy sync them to a local folder
>> (~/Tomboy-synkronisering). This works great, so now my new notes are
>> backed up among my other files to my USB drive every day, but now to
>> my question:
>> Where are the ORIGINAL files?
>
> Try ~/.local/share/tomboy
>
> Colin

Thanks! Two people with the same answer can't be wrong…

The .local folder was in my ”Excluded”- file, which was why rsync
never backed them up to my USB drive.
I have removed the .local line from that file and my backup is running
right now. Hopefully my notes are included this time.

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ