Old 08-10-2011, 04:42 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default on ubuntu 11.04, why isn't rsyslog logging my kernel msgs?

probably something stupid i'm doing but on my 64-bit ubuntu 11.04
system, i'm loading kernel modules that print simple strings using
printk() but nothing is showing up in /var/log/kern.log.

i've verified that rsyslog is running, and here's the salient bit
from /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf:

kern.* -/var/log/kern.log

which i've always understood is to send all kern-level messages to
that log file, but nothing shows up.

i've even used "logger" to try to send a message like that:

$ logger -p kern.info "hi there"

but, still, nothing.

i've read in a couple places that going back to syslog-ng will fix
things, but i'd still like to know what i'm doing wrong. thanks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 08-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:42:10PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> probably something stupid i'm doing but on my 64-bit ubuntu 11.04
> system, i'm loading kernel modules that print simple strings using
> printk() but nothing is showing up in /var/log/kern.log.

Do you see them in dmesg?

Do you specify the severity level for those printk messages?

> i've verified that rsyslog is running, and here's the salient bit
> from /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf:
>
> kern.* -/var/log/kern.log
>
> which i've always understood is to send all kern-level messages to
> that log file, but nothing shows up.

Do normal kernel messages show up there?

> i've even used "logger" to try to send a message like that:
>
> $ logger -p kern.info "hi there"
>
> but, still, nothing.

Check /var/log/syslog, you will see your "hi there" message there. I'm
not sure why the 'kern' facility ends up being ignored. Could be a
security measure: you don't want arbitrary users to insert fake messages
pretending to be from the kernel in your log files.