Old 08-10-2011, 06:13 AM
ANDY

Default DVD Drive Clicking

DELL LATITUDE D600
UBUNTU 9.10 +proposed
CLAMAV 0.95.3

My internal DVD drive clicks (checks for a disc) from time to time usually between 1 and 3 times at seemingly random intervals.

Haven't noticed anything in syslog yet that seems to correlate to the problem.* Wondering if ClamAV is trying to check for removable media.* The drive works normally when used.

Ideas?

ANDY - Salt Lake, UT US

Old 08-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 00:13 -0600, ANDY wrote:
> DELL LATITUDE D600
> UBUNTU 9.10 +proposed
> CLAMAV 0.95.3
>
> My internal DVD drive clicks (checks for a disc) from time to time
> usually between 1 and 3 times at seemingly random intervals.
>
> Haven't noticed anything in syslog yet that seems to correlate to the
> problem. Wondering if ClamAV is trying to check for removable media.
> The drive works normally when used.

update, if at all possible, to 10.04. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-10-2011, 10:47 AM
ANDY

update, if at all possible, to 10.04. Ric

Or we can start with identifying the problem.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 04:47 -0600, ANDY wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:49 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> update, if at all possible, to 10.04. Ric
>
> Or we can start with identifying the problem.

The problem was the OP said he upgraded from 9.10 to 11.04. Go back and
check. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 PM
ANDY

The problem was the OP said he upgraded from 9.10 to 11.04. Go back and

check. Ric

Sorry, I don't know which OP and 11.04 upgrade you are referring to.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:08 PM
ANDY

My internal DVD drive clicks (checks for a disc) from time to time usually between 1 and 3 times at seemingly random intervals.

Still need ideas.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:07 PM
"compdoc"

>Still need ideas.
*
How often does it happen? Would top show you the program that becomes active as the drive seeks?
*

Old 08-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Nils Kassube

ANDY wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:13 AM, ANDY <sirald66@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My internal DVD drive clicks (checks for a disc) from time to time
> > usually between 1 and 3 times at seemingly random intervals.
>
> Still need ideas.

Try the command

sudo hal-disable-polling --device /dev/dvd

in a terminal. If you use it, you will lose the convenience of automatic
disc detection. And with the command

sudo hal-disable-polling --device /dev/dvd --enable-polling

you can enable polling again.

Nils

Old 08-12-2011, 10:54 PM
ANDY

How often does it happen? Would top show you the program that becomes active as the drive seeks?

It happens infrequently at random for less than 10 seconds, so not enough time to manually spot something in the process list.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:58 PM
ANDY