Old 08-10-2011, 03:05 AM
Jim Byrnes

Default Install of java jdk failed

I tried installing sun-java6-jdk on Ubuntu 10.04 using Synaptic. The
instructions I followed said that I would have to accept the license, an
entry would be in system-->admin and the files would be in /usr/lib/jvm.
None of that happened.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks, Jim

Old 08-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 22:05 -0500, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> I tried installing sun-java6-jdk on Ubuntu 10.04 using Synaptic. The
> instructions I followed said that I would have to accept the license, an
> entry would be in system-->admin and the files would be in /usr/lib/jvm.
> None of that happened.
>
> What do I need to do to fix this?

The first time you install it, with synaptic, you have to have the
comments (or whatever the heck it's called) window open when it gets to
the point of installing files. That's when the license announce comes
up. Tricky bit, too. It's easy to mess up, but just try again, that's
free. Or, since you already have the file in /var/cache/apt/archives
apt-get install packagename should do the trick, too. $ Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-10-2011, 07:04 AM
"d~_*b"

On 10 August 2011 08:35, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:

> I tried installing sun-java6-jdk on Ubuntu 10.04 using Synaptic. *The instructions I followed said that I would have to accept the license, an entry would be in system-->admin and the files would be in /usr/lib/jvm. *None of that happened.
>
> What do I need to do to fix this?
>
> Thanks, *Jim

install it via the cmd line
sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jdk

This will invoke a terminal window for you to accept the license
(navigate using <tab> and accept using <spacebar>)

--
& Ru Chelladurai

Old 08-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Jim Byrnes

I tried installing sun-java6-jdk on Ubuntu 10.04 using Synaptic. The
instructions I followed said that I would have to accept the license, an
entry would be in system-->admin and the files would be in /usr/lib/jvm.
None of that happened.

What do I need to do to fix this?

The first time you install it, with synaptic, you have to have the
comments (or whatever the heck it's called) window open when it gets to
the point of installing files. That's when the license announce comes
up. Tricky bit, too. It's easy to mess up, but just try again, that's
free. Or, since you already have the file in /var/cache/apt/archives
apt-get install packagename should do the trick, too. $ Ric

Ric,

I'm not sure what window you mean even after looking through all of
synaptics settings. Marking it for reinstallation and looking for a way
to open another window to see the license agreement was unsuccessful.

Here is the results of apt-get:

$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
sun-java6-jdk is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.

I did notice that in Applications-->System tools I have something called
Sun Java 6 VisualVM but I don't know how long that has been there.

Regards, Jim

Old 08-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Jim Byrnes

I tried installing sun-java6-jdk on Ubuntu 10.04 using Synaptic.
The instructions I followed said that I would have to accept the
license, an entry would be in system-->admin and the files would be
in /usr/lib/jvm. None of that happened.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks, Jim

install it via the cmd line sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jdk

This will invoke a terminal window for you to accept the license
(navigate using<tab> and accept using<spacebar>)

-- & Ru Chelladurai

Thanks but trying that I still don't see that option.

$ sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jdk
[sudo] password for me:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done

thanks, Jim

Old 08-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Jim Byrnes

[...]

The whole problem was a false alarm. I found that I can compile and and
run a small java test program, so it must be installed even though I did
not see what the howto led me to believe I would. Sorry for the noise.

Regards, Jim

Old 08-10-2011, 05:40 PM
scott

Rick,

The whole problem was a false alarm. I found that I can compile and
and run a small java test program, so it must be installed even though
I did not see what the howto led me to believe I would. Sorry for the
noise.

Regards, Jim

If you installed any other sun-java package before the jdk, Ubuntu
assumes the license is already agreed to as you had to agree to it then.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Jim Byrnes

The whole problem was a false alarm. I found that I can compile and
and run a small java test program, so it must be installed even though
I did not see what the howto led me to believe I would. Sorry for the
noise.

Regards, Jim

If you installed any other sun-java package before the jdk, Ubuntu
assumes the license is already agreed to as you had to agree to it then.

Scott,

Thanks for the followup. That makes sense, I have installed the jre.

Regards, Jim