Old 08-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Firesam

Default Grub2 boot vhd file

I know that in ubuntu in order to edit the grub menu options you need to
go to the grub.d directory and add it there. I can add custom menus but
I am trying to get to boot a vhd file and I am not sure of the syntax.
Did anyone here try such a thing that can point me in the right
direction?

This is what I tried:

menuentry "VHD LinuxMint" {
recordfail
savedefault
set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(/dev/sda,msdos5)'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-10-generic
root=UUID=b7ddc8ff-504c-42d6-a049-54ff0168f1ea vloop=/vhd/linuxmint.vhd
quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-10-generic-vboot
}

Old 08-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Ben Tinner

On Tuesday, 9 August 2011 1:51 PM, Firesam wrote:
>I know that in ubuntu in order to edit the grub menu options you need to
>go to the grub.d directory and add it there. I can add custom menus but
>I am trying to get to boot a vhd file and I am not sure of the syntax.
>Did anyone here try such a thing that can point me in the right
>direction?
>
>This is what I tried:
>
>menuentry "VHD LinuxMint" {
>*** recordfail
>*** savedefault
>*** set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
>*** insmod part_msdos
>*** insmod ext2
>*** set root='(/dev/sda,msdos5)'
>*** linux
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-10-generic
>root=UUID=b7ddc8ff-504c-42d6-a049-54ff0168f1ea vloop=/vhd/linuxmint.vhd
>quiet splash
>*** initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-10-generic-vboot
>}
>

>--

I cannot really tell if this is working. Anyway, which virtualizer did you use anyway?
*
Ben Tinner

Old 08-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Firesam

On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 22:53 +0800, Ben Tinner wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 August 2011 1:51 PM, Firesam wrote:
> >I know that in ubuntu in order to edit the grub menu options you need
> >go to the grub.d directory and add it there. I can add custom menus
> but
> >I am trying to get to boot a vhd file and I am not sure of the
> syntax.
> >Did anyone here try such a thing that can point me in the right
> >direction?
> >

> I cannot really tell if this is working. Anyway, which virtualizer did
> you use anyway?
>
> Ben Tinner
>

> --

I used virtualbox to create the vhd. It does seem possible from what
I've seen, I just cant get it done. maybe I will try a live cd coppied
onto the vhd and see if that boots. Maybe they are more versatile.

Anyway thanks for the response. I sorta gave up and figured (makes
sense) that this is not really the best place for a booting question.

Good day and thanks.