Old 08-09-2011, 02:45 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Please help Ubuntu 11.04

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

On 9 August 2011 15:20, Aron Schwartz <doit613@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 and am having a very frustrating time

> trying to connect to my wifi. My wireless card is Broadcom4322 - I went into

> Windows and downloaded the driver (.deb) onto a usb *- when I try to extract

> it in Linux it doesnt work I get " " is not a debian format archive. So I

> think I have the driver for broadcom4322 but cant extract it. I went back to

> Windows and searched for this error and found a paragraph long Command to

> put into the terminal window that might debug the error - unfortunately when

> I tried opening this command via Word document in Ubuntu all I get is code

> gibberish =/. Trying to type it out in terminal only led to technical

> errors. So if anyone can help with:

> 1. an alternate way of activating Broadcom4322 Wifi

> 2. how to extract .deb or .tar.gz files without errors

> 3. how to open text commands in Ubuntu without only seeing code

> any help would be appreciated, thanks - Eric

Google led me to this which might be helpful:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx

The reason the word file came out as gibberish is that Word files are

not text files, but are in fact gibberish (if interpreted as text

files). *If you want to write a text file in windows you must use a

simple text editor not Word. *Notepad used to be the way to do this.

Colin

Or use your familiar word processor and "save as" selecting an appropriate text (.TXT) format.
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 08-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Aron Schwartz

Hey, thanks for replying - I actually tried using notepad first (.txt) but that wouldnt even open in Ubuntu. I had Word documents on my usb that I was able to open in Ubuntu though - when I then tried putting the Ubuntu terminal command into a Word document it turned into gibberish =/

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

On 9 August 2011 15:20, Aron Schwartz <doit613@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 and am having a very frustrating time

> trying to connect to my wifi. My wireless card is Broadcom4322 - I went into

> Windows and downloaded the driver (.deb) onto a usb *- when I try to extract

> it in Linux it doesnt work I get " " is not a debian format archive. So I

> think I have the driver for broadcom4322 but cant extract it. I went back to

> Windows and searched for this error and found a paragraph long Command to

> put into the terminal window that might debug the error - unfortunately when

> I tried opening this command via Word document in Ubuntu all I get is code

> gibberish =/. Trying to type it out in terminal only led to technical

> errors. So if anyone can help with:

> 1. an alternate way of activating Broadcom4322 Wifi

> 2. how to extract .deb or .tar.gz files without errors

> 3. how to open text commands in Ubuntu without only seeing code

> any help would be appreciated, thanks - Eric

Google led me to this which might be helpful:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx

The reason the word file came out as gibberish is that Word files are

not text files, but are in fact gibberish (if interpreted as text

files). *If you want to write a text file in windows you must use a

simple text editor not Word. *Notepad used to be the way to do this.

Colin

Yours sincerely,

Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 PM
david peltier

Hi Aron,

Could you please copy/paste your terminal logs when trying to install.

Regards,

David