Old 08-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Aron Schwartz

Default Please help Ubuntu 11.04

Hi, I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 and am having a very frustrating time trying to connect to my wifi. My wireless card is Broadcom4322 - I went into Windows and downloaded the driver (.deb) onto a usb *- when I try to extract it in Linux it doesnt work I get " " is not a debian format archive. So I think I have the driver for broadcom4322 but cant extract it. I went back to Windows and searched for this error and found a paragraph long Command to put into the terminal window that might debug the error - unfortunately when I tried opening this command via Word document in Ubuntu all I get is code gibberish =/. Trying to type it out in terminal only led to technical errors. So if anyone can help with:
1. an alternate way of activating Broadcom4322 Wifi2. how to extract .deb or .tar.gz files without errors3. how to open text commands in Ubuntu without only seeing codeany help would be appreciated, thanks - Eric

--
Yours sincerely,

Old 08-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Colin Law

On 9 August 2011 15:20, Aron Schwartz <doit613@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 and am having a very frustrating time
> trying to connect to my wifi. My wireless card is Broadcom4322 - I went into
> Windows and downloaded the driver (.deb) onto a usb *- when I try to extract
> it in Linux it doesnt work I get " " is not a debian format archive. So I
> think I have the driver for broadcom4322 but cant extract it. I went back to
> Windows and searched for this error and found a paragraph long Command to
> put into the terminal window that might debug the error - unfortunately when
> I tried opening this command via Word document in Ubuntu all I get is code
> gibberish =/. Trying to type it out in terminal only led to technical
> errors. So if anyone can help with:
> 1. an alternate way of activating Broadcom4322 Wifi
> 2. how to extract .deb or .tar.gz files without errors
> 3. how to open text commands in Ubuntu without only seeing code
> any help would be appreciated, thanks - Eric

Google led me to this which might be helpful:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx

The reason the word file came out as gibberish is that Word files are
not text files, but are in fact gibberish (if interpreted as text
files). If you want to write a text file in windows you must use a
simple text editor not Word. Notepad used to be the way to do this.

Colin