Old 08-09-2011, 01:44 PM
"G. "

Default Printer sharing

I am trying to share a Canon MP 250 attached to a windows 7 computer.
I have tried ipp as well as Samba. It appears the problem is W7 does
not recognize the password. I can share files back and forth just
fine.

In ipp I entered 192.168.0.8:631 in host and printers/Canon (the name
I gave the printer on the W7 machine).

In Samba WORKGROUP/192.168.0.8:631/Canon. I have tried using
HomeGroup which is the W7 configuation. I have tried dropping the
:631.

In each instance when it asks for a user name and password, I am told
the password may be incorrect.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

thanks

gary
(GMT+1)

Old 08-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Rigved Rakshit

I am trying to share a Canon MP 250 attached to a windows 7 computer.

I have tried ipp as well as Samba. *It appears the problem is W7 does

not recognize the password. *I can share files back and forth just

fine.

In ipp I entered 192.168.0.8:631 *in host and printers/Canon (the name

I gave the printer on the W7 machine).

In Samba WORKGROUP/192.168.0.8:631/Canon. *I have tried using

HomeGroup which is the W7 configuation. *I have tried dropping the

:631.

In each instance when it asks for a user name and password, I am told

the password may be incorrect.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

thanks

gary

(GMT+1)

Open up the terminal and type: sudo gedit /etc/hosts.allow
Type in your password.
Then add this line to the file:

ALL:192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

Save the file. Now try logging into your samba workgroup.

Note: The line mentioned above says "ALL" to make it easier for you in future. But actually, you can replece "ALL" with a list of services, each on a separate line. These services can be sshd, samba, cups etc. You will have to read up the actual documentation on the /etc/hosts.allow file for more deatails.

Best Regards,
Rigved Rakshit

Old 08-10-2011, 10:20 AM
"Stephen A. Bungay"

Well, the first problem is that it is a canon mp250 which the linux printer database says is a 'paperweight', that is to say does not work under Linux, as many Canons do not. I do not know if there will be a problem with Windows 7 not playing nice with Linux.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Gary

On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 15:03 +0530, Rigved Rakshit wrote:
> I am trying to share a Canon MP 250 attached to a windows 7
> computer.
> I have tried ipp as well as Samba. It appears the problem is
> W7 does
> not recognize the password. I can share files back and forth
> just
> fine.
>
> In ipp I entered 192.168.0.8:631 in host and printers/Canon
> (the name
> I gave the printer on the W7 machine).
>
> In Samba WORKGROUP/192.168.0.8:631/Canon. I have tried using
> HomeGroup which is the W7 configuation. I have tried dropping
> the
> :631.
>
> In each instance when it asks for a user name and password, I
> am told
> the password may be incorrect.
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated.
>
> thanks
>

> gary
> (GMT+1)
>
> Open up the terminal and type: sudo gedit /etc/hosts.allow
> Type in your password.
> Then add this line to the file:
>
> ALL:192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
>
> Save the file. Now try logging into your samba workgroup.
>
> Note: The line mentioned above says "ALL" to make it easier for you in
> future. But actually, you can replece "ALL" with a list of services,
> each on a separate line. These services can be sshd, samba, cups etc.
> You will have to read up the actual documentation on
> the /etc/hosts.allow file for more deatails.
>
> Best Regards,
> Rigved Rakshit

Thanks for the reply. When I entered sudo gedit /etc/hosts.allow the
first time I got the following messages:

(gedit:4197): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into
`/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create
file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.L9H1ZV': No such file or
directory

(gedit:4197): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of
`/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or
directory

(gedit:4197): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into
`/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create
file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.K82G0V': No such file or
directory

(gedit:4197): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of
`/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or
directory

(gedit:4197): Gtk-WARNING Attempting to store changes into
`/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create
file '/root/.local/share/recene-used.xbel.100G0V': No such file or
directory

(gedit:4197): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of
`/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or
directory

I entered the required text at the end of the file and saved it. I got
the same message I have been getting- "the password might be incorrect"

The printer works in Ubuntu. Canon Australia has a driver you can
download.

gary

Old 08-11-2011, 12:09 AM
NoOp

On 08/10/2011 02:33 AM, Rigved Rakshit wrote:

> Open up the terminal and type: sudo gedit /etc/hosts.allow

Please don't suggest using 'sudo' to run a graphical application. Please
use 'gksu or gksudo' or 'kdesu or kdesudo' if on kubuntu. See:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo#Graphical%20sudo
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man1/gksu.1.html
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

Old 08-11-2011, 01:50 AM
NoOp

On 08/09/2011 06:44 AM, G. wrote:
> I am trying to share a Canon MP 250 attached to a windows 7 computer.
> I have tried ipp as well as Samba. It appears the problem is W7 does
> not recognize the password. I can share files back and forth just
> fine.
>
> In ipp I entered 192.168.0.8:631 in host and printers/Canon (the name
> I gave the printer on the W7 machine).

What version of Win7? Win7 Home Premium does not support IPP and you
need to use http instead.

> In Samba WORKGROUP/192.168.0.8:631/Canon. I have tried using
> HomeGroup which is the W7 configuation. I have tried dropping the
> :631.
>
> In each instance when it asks for a user name and password, I am told
> the password may be incorrect.

Is the Win7 printer marked as shared? When you try to login are you
using the Win7 username + password?

Old 08-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Gary

On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 18:50 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/09/2011 06:44 AM, G. wrote:
> > I am trying to share a Canon MP 250 attached to a windows 7 computer.
> > I have tried ipp as well as Samba. It appears the problem is W7 does
> > not recognize the password. I can share files back and forth just
> > fine.
> >
> > In ipp I entered 192.168.0.8:631 in host and printers/Canon (the name
> > I gave the printer on the W7 machine).
>
> What version of Win7? Win7 Home Premium does not support IPP and you
> need to use http instead.
>

> > In Samba WORKGROUP/192.168.0.8:631/Canon. I have tried using
> > HomeGroup which is the W7 configuation. I have tried dropping the
> > :631.
> >
> > In each instance when it asks for a user name and password, I am told
> > the password may be incorrect.
>
> Is the Win7 printer marked as shared? When you try to login are you
> using the Win7 username + password?

This is Windows Starter! You helped me printing to Ubuntu from Vista
and I looked through those instructions and a bunch of them online
without success.
The W7 printer is marked as shared. Using the W7 user name and
password. I can share files and I assume it is the same user name and
password.

thanks

gary

I am 9 hours ahead of you, maybe 8.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Gary

On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 18:50 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/09/2011 06:44 AM, G. wrote:
> > I am trying to share a Canon MP 250 attached to a windows 7 computer.
> > I have tried ipp as well as Samba. It appears the problem is W7 does
> > not recognize the password. I can share files back and forth just
> > fine.
> >
> > In ipp I entered 192.168.0.8:631 in host and printers/Canon (the name
> > I gave the printer on the W7 machine).
>
> What version of Win7? Win7 Home Premium does not support IPP and you
> need to use http instead.
>

> > In Samba WORKGROUP/192.168.0.8:631/Canon. I have tried using
> > HomeGroup which is the W7 configuation. I have tried dropping the
> > :631.
> >
> > In each instance when it asks for a user name and password, I am told
> > the password may be incorrect.
>
> Is the Win7 printer marked as shared? When you try to login are you
> using the Win7 username + password?

Hang on, I tried using the main password, used to login to windows.
Sees the printer. Be back in a bit.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:37 AM
"Jordon Bedwell"

On Thu, August 11, 2011 12:27 am, Gary wrote:
> This is Windows Starter! You helped me printing to Ubuntu from Vista
> and I looked through those instructions and a bunch of them online
> without success.
> The W7 printer is marked as shared. Using the W7 user name and
> password. I can share files and I assume it is the same user name and
> password.

Windows 7 Starter < Windows 7 Home Premium < Every Other Windows Edition.
Windows 7 Starter is meant to be for Netbooks, it's not meant for this.

Either upgrade or use the Linux as the printing server for everyone else.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Gary

On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 18:50 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/09/2011 06:44 AM, G. wrote:
> > I am trying to share a Canon MP 250 attached to a windows 7 computer.
> > I have tried ipp as well as Samba. It appears the problem is W7 does
> > not recognize the password. I can share files back and forth just
> > fine.
> >
> > In ipp I entered 192.168.0.8:631 in host and printers/Canon (the name
> > I gave the printer on the W7 machine).
>
> What version of Win7? Win7 Home Premium does not support IPP and you
> need to use http instead.
>

> > In Samba WORKGROUP/192.168.0.8:631/Canon. I have tried using
> > HomeGroup which is the W7 configuation. I have tried dropping the
> > :631.
> >
> > In each instance when it asks for a user name and password, I am told
> > the password may be incorrect.
>
> Is the Win7 printer marked as shared? When you try to login are you
> using the Win7 username + password?

I found the printer via SAMBA. Sees WORKGROUP/HPG62/Canon. However
then it asks for a printer driver. MP 250 is not on the list. I
installed it from a download from the Canon Australia site but that
result does not produce a ppd or other file the Ubuntu printer installer
is looking for.

gary