Old 08-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Andrew

Default Problems with ubuntu 11.04

I recently upgraded to 11.04 from 9.10 and having some problems with it:
it seems a bit unstable (and slow), although I may be a bit 'hardware
limited' (running a rather old Dell Dimension system). Also problem
getting my HP Color Laserjet 3500 to print colours correctly despite
installing latest version of hplip-3.11.7.run
Was I ill-advised to go straight to 11.04 and should I instead go
'back/down' to 10.04 which hopefully has had most of the bugs ironed
out?

Andy

Old 08-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Colin Law

On 9 August 2011 13:21, Andrew <andy.allen@virgin.net> wrote:
> I recently upgraded to 11.04 from 9.10 and having some problems with it:
> it seems a bit unstable (and slow), although I may be a bit 'hardware
> limited' (running a rather old Dell Dimension system). Also problem
> getting my HP Color Laserjet 3500 to print colours correctly despite
> installing latest version of hplip-3.11.7.run
> Was I ill-advised to go straight to 11.04 and should I instead go
> 'back/down' to 10.04 which hopefully has had most of the bugs ironed
> out?

11.04 is fine as far as I am concerned. It will be superseded by
11.10 in October (11 is the year and 10 is the month of release).
Ubuntu should certainly not be unstable and many find it noticeably
faster than running Windows on the same hardware.

How much RAM have you got?
Exactly what do you mean by unstable? Give an example of the problem
in as much detail as you can.
In what way does it appear slow? What activity takes longer than you expect?
When it is going slow is the disk light continually flickering for
tens of seconds (ie disc thrashing)?

Are you using the Unity interface (with the icons down the side) or
the Classic interface with the menus across the top?

Colin

Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Andrew

On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 13:32 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> 11.04 is fine as far as I am concerned. It will be superseded by
> 11.10 in October (11 is the year and 10 is the month of release).
> Ubuntu should certainly not be unstable and many find it noticeably
> faster than running Windows on the same hardware.
>
> How much RAM have you got?
> Exactly what do you mean by unstable? Give an example of the problem
> in as much detail as you can.
> In what way does it appear slow? What activity takes longer than you expect?
> When it is going slow is the disk light continually flickering for
> tens of seconds (ie disc thrashing)?
>
> Are you using the Unity interface (with the icons down the side) or
> the Classic interface with the menus across the top?

Hi Colin,
Thanks for the reply - my system (according to System Monitor) has 495.6
MiB memory and the processor is Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1700MHz,
available disk space 29.0 GiB, so presumably should be OK.
When I say unstable, I mean that, with certain applications running, eg
mail and web browser, sometimes everything disappears from the screen
for a few seconds (except the coloured background) and then reappears -
so the system doesn't crash. It's working OK at the moment because I've
only got the mail client open - I just opened Firefox web browser and it
happened again so maybe the problem is with Firefox?
The other problem I've got is with the HP Colour Laserjet 3500 printer
installation - as I said I've installed hplip-3.11.7 and everything
seems fine except that, when I print the test page from the HPLIP Status
Service icon all features appear correct except the Color Wheel - the
colours don't look right according to the lettering around the wheel.
No - I'm not using the Unity interface because I got the message that my
hardware isn't adequate for that - so I'm using the Classic interface.

Andy

Old 08-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 13:32 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> On 9 August 2011 13:21, Andrew <andy.allen@virgin.net> wrote:
> > I recently upgraded to 11.04 from 9.10 and having some problems with it:
> > it seems a bit unstable (and slow), although I may be a bit 'hardware
> > limited' (running a rather old Dell Dimension system). Also problem
> > getting my HP Color Laserjet 3500 to print colours correctly despite
> > installing latest version of hplip-3.11.7.run
> > Was I ill-advised to go straight to 11.04 and should I instead go
> > 'back/down' to 10.04 which hopefully has had most of the bugs ironed
> > out?
>
> 11.04 is fine as far as I am concerned.

I would expect it to go wonkers, jumping from 9.10 to 11.04...
that's too great a jump for non-LTS versions. How the OP even thought it
would work is beyond me. Had he gone to 10.04 first he wouldn't be
having these issues. <harrumpfs> Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Colin Law

On 9 August 2011 18:31, Andrew <andy.allen@virgin.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 13:32 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>
>> 11.04 is fine as far as I am concerned. * It will be superseded by
>> 11.10 in October (11 is the year and 10 is the month of release).
>> Ubuntu should certainly not be unstable and many find it noticeably
>> faster than running Windows on the same hardware.
>>
>> How much RAM have you got?
>> Exactly what do you mean by unstable? *Give an example of the problem
>> in as much detail as you can.
>> In what way does it appear slow? *What activity takes longer than you expect?
>> When it is going slow is the disk light continually flickering for
>> tens of seconds (ie disc thrashing)?
>>
>> Are you using the Unity interface (with the icons down the side) or
>> the Classic interface with the menus across the top?
>>
> Hi Colin,
> Thanks for the reply - my system (according to System Monitor) has 495.6
> MiB memory and the processor is Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1700MHz,
> available disk space 29.0 GiB, so presumably should be OK.

You are a marginal on RAM, see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements.
The processor is fine though, so you might well benefit from some more
RAM if you can fit it. It might dramatically speed up your system.

> When I say unstable, I mean that, with certain applications running, eg
> mail and web browser, sometimes everything disappears from the screen
> for a few seconds (except the coloured background) and then reappears -
> so the system doesn't crash. It's working OK at the moment because I've
> only got the mail client open - I just opened Firefox web browser and it
> happened again so maybe the problem is with Firefox?

I don't know whether RAM shortage might cause this sort of issue or not.

> The other problem I've got is with the HP Colour Laserjet 3500 printer
> installation - as I said I've installed hplip-3.11.7 and everything
> seems fine except that, when I print the test page from the HPLIP Status
> Service icon all features appear correct except the Color Wheel - the
> colours don't look right according to the lettering around the wheel.

Sorry, I can't help with that. You might be better to start a
separate thread with a meaningful subject for that. Some readers just
skim through the subjects looking for those that interest them. Your
subject line is not very helpful.

Following on from what others have said, did you upgrade in one go or
in steps? If you upgraded in one go (and I don't know how you could
do that) then you may be in trouble.

Colin

Old 08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Andrew

On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 21:03 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> On 9 August 2011 18:31, Andrew <andy.allen@virgin.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 13:32 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> >
> Following on from what others have said, did you upgrade in one go or
> in steps? If you upgraded in one go (and I don't know how you could
> do that) then you may be in trouble.

Hi Colin,
Again thanks for the helpful reply - I probably misled you when I said I
'upgraded' to 11.04. Actually, I downloaded the 11.04 iso and burned a
new CD from it and used it to re-install, completely erasing the old
version (9.10). Obviously I'd backed up all my data and email stuff etc
so that I could restore everything. I haven't tried 'upgrading' because
I assume it's better to have a clean, new installation but I'm willing
to be convinced otherwise. The thing is, since I've been using linux
I've gone from RedHat (6 then 9), CentOS (4 to 5), now ubuntu, so I've
rather got used to re-installing!
So presumably having installed a new OS (11.04) everything should work
fine, unless my hardware (RAM) is in fact limiting performance.

Andy

Old 08-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Jeff Lane

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 07:54, Andrew <andy.allen@virgin.net> wrote:

> so that I could restore everything. I haven't tried 'upgrading' because
> I assume it's better to have a clean, new installation but I'm willing
> to be convinced otherwise. The thing is, since I've been using linux
> I've gone from RedHat (6 then 9), CentOS (4 to 5), now ubuntu, so I've
> rather got used to re-installing!

In a previous life, I would have agreed with you, but linux upgrades
(especially with Ubuntu) have been (mostly) pain free for a long time.
My primary workstation started off with 9.10 and has been inline
upgraded ever since: 9.10 -> 10.04 LTS -> 10.10 -> 11.04 and I've yet
to experience any real problems.

The only issues I've suffered were due to custom configurations and
packages that didn't update because I'd installed from source rather
than packaged versions... otherwise, it's been pretty pain free.

Keep in mind that that's just been my personal experience, and I'm
sure that for every pain free upgrade I've done there's at least 100
people with some sort of complaint (some legitimate, some not), so
YMMV and all that stuff.

Good luck!

Jeff

Old 08-13-2011, 01:50 PM