Old 08-08-2011, 12:15 AM
NoOp

Default Here we go again - Unity Web Player/linux

First it was the Olympics & linux users couldn't view the videos because
they used Silverlight (Moonlight eventually did a partial). Now it's the
America's Cup and they are using the Unity Web Player (Win & Mac only):

<http://www.americascup.com/en/Events/2011-2012-world-series/2011-cascais-portugal/AC-World-Series-Experience---fun-for-all/>
<http://americascup.virtualeye.tv/>

Amazing...

Anyone know of a linux based Unity Web Player project like Moonlight was
for Silverlight? Yes I have several virtual Win based machines that I
can use instead, and yes I'll write to the the folks I know personally
that are working ACRM, but it'd be nice to try any possible alternatives
before I do.

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/

Old 08-08-2011, 05:19 AM
ANDY

Unity recently told me they were working on the widest user base platforms first; smartphones before linux.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:26 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 23:19:15 -0600
ANDY <sirald66@gmail.com> didst polemicize thusly:

> Unity recently told me they were working on the widest user base
> platforms first; smartphones before linux.

Who is, "Unity?"

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 08-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Jacob Mansfield

On 8 August 2011 14:26, Cybe R. Wizard <cybe_r_wizard@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Who is, "Unity?"

Unity is a 3D game development platform that actively refuses to create a linux client based on it's own naive view of things.

Jacob MansfieldProgrammer

CyberKing Solutionsā„¢--

Air conditioned environment - do not open windows!

SeeĀ*http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Old 08-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 08/08/11 10:42, Jacob Mansfield wrote:
> On 8 August 2011 14:26, Cybe R. Wizard <cybe_r_wizard@earthlink.net
> <mailto:cybe_r_wizard@earthlink.net>> wrote:
> > Who is, "Unity?"
>
> Unity is a 3D game development platform that actively refuses to create a linux
> client based on it's own naive view of things.

I have to agree with this assessment. Their excuse 4 years ago was 3D
support on Linux sucked (which was partially right back then) but their
excuse to this day is still 3D support which is their engineers sporting
their stupidity as skill. Linux support is their most requested
feature and they still refuse to implement it.

To add: I wouldn't ever use Unity on my smartphone and I always have the
latest and greatest in Android technology. Who would want something so
high level on a phone? Right not at least, maybe a year from now it will
be alright but for now their high-level gaming platform lags on
smartphones and you can see the skips.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 08:26 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 23:19:15 -0600
> ANDY <sirald66@gmail.com> didst polemicize thusly:
>
> > Unity recently told me they were working on the widest user base
> > platforms first; smartphones before linux.
>
> Who is, "Unity?"

I AM THE UNITY, AND YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED.

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Jacob Mansfield

$ sudo killall -9 unityJacob MansfieldProgrammer

Old 08-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Stephen Kuhn

On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 19:37 +0100, Jacob Mansfield wrote:
> $ sudo killall -9 unity

A 12 gauge shotgun with a slug works wonders.

--
yankdownunder
reg'd linux user #267497

Old 08-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Jacob Mansfield

so does root accessJacob MansfieldProgrammer

Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 08/08/11 15:11, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 19:37 +0100, Jacob Mansfield wrote:
>> $ sudo killall -9 unity
>
> A 12 gauge shotgun with a slug works wonders.

A 50 cal handgun would do the job more wonderfully. I mean who doesn't
love a fireworks show in the middle of killing? It obviously does that
to cheer you up.