-   -   Remote LPD print (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/561480-remote-lpd-print.html)

08-07-2011 03:52 PM

Remote LPD print

Hi. How I can make a locally attached printer available to a CentOS server for direct printing. I want to change all windows XP terminals by Ubuntu 11.04.

I have done something like this with Samba but in that case I only want linux to linux communications.

Thanks.

David Fletcher 08-07-2011 06:37 PM

Remote LPD print

On Sun, 2011-08-07 at 11:52 -0400, molaxp@aol.com wrote:
> Hi. How I can make a locally attached printer available to a CentOS
> server for direct printing. I want to change all windows XP terminals
> by Ubuntu 11.04.
>
> I have done something like this with Samba but in that case I only
> want linux to linux communications.
>
> Thanks.

My printer is now connected to a USB socket on my server. Any of the
three other computers in the house can use it. I use CUPS only - no
samba, no windows.

Dave

08-07-2011 06:53 PM

Remote LPD print

How you shared that printer?

> Hi. How I can make a locally attached printer available to a CentOS
> server for direct printing. I want to change all windows XP terminals
> by Ubuntu 11.04.
>
> I have done something like this with Samba but in that case I only
> want linux to linux communications.
>
> Thanks.

My printer is now connected to a USB socket on my server. Any of the
three other computers in the house can use it. I use CUPS only - no
samba, no windows.

Dave

08-07-2011 06:56 PM

Remote LPD print

How you shared that printer?

> Hi. How I can make a locally attached printer available to a CentOS
> server for direct printing. I want to change all windows XP terminals
> by Ubuntu 11.04.
>
> I have done something like this with Samba but in that case I only
> want linux to linux communications.
>
> Thanks.

My printer is now connected to a USB socket on my server. Any of the
three other computers in the house can use it. I use CUPS only - no
samba, no windows.

Dave

08-07-2011 07:19 PM

Remote LPD print

How you shared that printer?

NoOp 08-07-2011 07:41 PM

Remote LPD print

On 08/07/2011 08:52 AM, molaxp@aol.com wrote:

> Hi. How I can make a locally attached printer available to a CentOS
> server for direct printing. I want to change all windows XP terminals
> by Ubuntu 11.04.
>
> I have done something like this with Samba but in that case I only
> want linux to linux communications.

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.10/printing/C/index.html
and
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Printers
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkPrintingWithUbuntu

But the short & simple answer may be to open
System|Administration|Printing|right-click on the printer & select 'Shared'

David Fletcher 08-07-2011 09:28 PM

Remote LPD print

On Sun, 2011-08-07 at 15:19 -0400, molaxp@aol.com wrote:
> How you shared that printer?

Yes, I was tearing my hair out over this a couple of years ago. If the
printer is connected to a headless server like mine is, you can't log in
locally and use the CUPS web browser interface to do your setting up
because there is no GUI.

And, you can't by default log in remotely on port 631 because that by
default is prohibited. So you have to go in as administrator by ssh and
do some text editing:-

According to my notes there are three files that need to be checked,
browse.conf, cupsd.conf and ports.conf.

But browse.conf and ports.conf appear to no longer be present on my
server, but then the notes were taken when I was running Dapper :-)
Have they been removed from CUPS, anybody?

The actual cupsd.conf file from my current server contains this first
section which might be all that you need:-
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
LogLevel warn
MaxLogSize 1m
SystemGroup adm
# Share local printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseRemoteProtocols
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS dnssd
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
# Allow shared printing and remote administration...
Order allow,deny
Allow all
</Location>
<Location /admin>
# Allow remote administration...
Order allow,deny
Allow all
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
# Allow remote access to the configuration files...
Order allow,deny
Allow all
</Location>

Then I think what you need to do is:-
sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart

I think that's all you have to do. I was helped out myself to do this,
either here or on the Kubuntu list.

Then you should be able to use a web browser to go into your server on
port 631, use the administrator ID and alter the CUPS settings to
service your printer and make it available to the rest of the network.
If I recall correctly, you have to set the server to advertise its
printers, AND set your clients to use remote printers, both using the
web browser interface. Then, any time you want to print from an
application, your printers should magically appear.

Dave