Old 11-26-2007, 05:59 PM
"Anthony Papillion"

Default Running 32bit applications on a 64bit system

Hello Everyone,

I've run Linux on the server for several years but this is my first
foray into the desktop and I have to say I am impressed. I installed
Ubuntu on my Acer laptop the other night after a frustrating
experience with Windows Vista and I can honestly say I will never look
back. Pretty much everything "just worked" and I'm slowly working on
the few things that didn't work (webcam, Flash).

One of the problems I ran into (really the only problem) was with
installing and running 32bit applications on my system. I'm running
the latest 64bit version of Ubuntu fully patched. There are two
programs, in particular, I need that will not run on the 64bit
installation and I'm wondering if there's a way around it. I'm trying
to run Skype and I'm trying to install the Adobe Flash player.

Does anyone have any newbie tips on getting these to work or will I
need to start over and install the 32bit version of Ubuntu?

Thanks,
Anthony P.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Gilles Gravier

Today, 64 vs 32 bits in one of the few really frustrating remaining
problems with Linux.

If you have 64 bit linux, a lot of 32 bit apps won't run... if not
all... and vice versa.

The only OS that handles that well is Solaris. It installs with 64 AND
32 bit libraries regardless of which mode you run it in (you can decide
at boot time)... and your applications can be written for 64 or 32 bit
mode, they will run. You can run a very old Netscape navigator in 32 bit
mode on a fancy AMD64 Solaris machine and it will run just fine...
provided your Netscape was compiled for x86 (not SPARC).

With Linux, unless you really NEED 64 bit addressing (for example
because you are manipulating huge data structures, or files, or because
you are driving simultaneously 4 graphics cards with each over a 1GB of
video RAM) then you should avoid 32 bit mode. In many cases, it will
slow down your system. In most cases you will have application
compatibility issues unless you know the apps you will be using are
available in 64 bit mode.

My suggestion, (re)install in 32 bit mode. (Unless, as I say above, you
really need the addressing capabilities of a 64 bit OS).

Gilles.

--
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles@Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles@Gravier.org>
*=* *http://www.gravier.org/*
ICQ : *77488526*
<http://www.icq.com/whitepages/about_me.php?Uin=77488526> * || *MSN
Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org <http://members.msn.com/Gilles@Gravier.org>*
*Skype : ggravier <callto://ggravier>* || *Y! : ggravier
<http://profiles.yahoo.com/ggravier> || AOL : gillesgravier
<aim:goim?screenname=gillesgravier>
PGP Key ID : *0x8DE6D026*
<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x8DE6D026&op=index>
My Last Known Position / Ma Derniere Position Connue
<http://www.gmap-track.com/user.php?user=ggravier>
"Chastity is its own punishment." (/Solomon Short/) [/David Gerrold/]
"De toutes les aberrations sexuelles, la chasteté est la plus
aberrante." [Anatole France]

Old 11-26-2007, 06:26 PM
"Anthony Papillion"

Gilles:

Thanks for your input. I was seriously thinking about installing the
32 bit system later today and your response just confirmed that I
should. While I am a developer, I usually don't find myself
manipulating exceptionally large data structures or any of the other
"why you should have 64bit" points you mentioned so, for now, my needs
remain for a stable 32bit desktop OS that I can run most of my regular
applications in.

When I originally chose the 64bit version, it was based on my
assumption that, since my hardware was 64bit, my OS should be too. I
did notice the sluggish performance you mentioned and I attributed it
to my systems shortcomings (1.8Ghz w/1GB RAM). Now, I'm seeing it
might also have to do with the version of the OS I chose.

Thanks again. I'm going to download the 32bit version now.

Thanks,
Anthony P.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:32 PM
"W.D.McKinney"

[...]

Well put, we run 64 bit Ubuntu on our DNS servers (djbdns) as it runs just fine. But the rest we run 32 bit mode due to apps.

-Dee