Old 08-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Chris Jones

Default tool to list details of MP4 files

Hi,

I'm looking for a tool in ubuntu that can tell me exactly what streams an MP4 file contains, both the video and audo streams, the codecs, etc. The main piece of information I am after is the number of audio channels (stereo, 5.1 etc.) in each audio stream.

Ideally command line, but GUI would be fine.

I've searched around and not found anything that gives what I need. I sure there must be something but I just not looking in the right place... ?

cheers Chris--

Old 08-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Tero Pesonen

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011, Chris Jones wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm looking for a tool in ubuntu that can tell me exactly what streams an MP4 file contains, both the video and audo streams, the codecs, etc. The main piece of information I am after is the number of audio channels (stereo, 5.1 etc.) in each audio stream.
>
>Ideally command line, but GUI would be fine.
>
>I've searched around and not found anything that gives what I need. I sure there must be something but I just not looking in the right place... ?

On my 10.10, there's a package called mpeg4ip-utils, containing:

- mp4info - display information about tracks in mp4 file
- mp4dump - dumps contents from mp4 files
- mp4trackdump - dumps track information
- mp4tags - sets iTunes tag information
- mp4art - extract iTunes cover art
- mp4videoinfo - dump information about video tracks in mp4 files

Maybe that helps.

--
Tero Pesonen

Old 08-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Chris Jones

Hi,

> On my 10.10, there's a package called mpeg4ip-utils, containing:
>
> - mp4info - display information about tracks in mp4 file
> - mp4dump - dumps contents from mp4 files
> - mp4trackdump - dumps track information
> - mp4tags - sets iTunes tag information
> - mp4art - extract iTunes cover art
> - mp4videoinfo - dump information about video tracks in mp4 files
>
> Maybe that helps.

Yes, that is useful. Ive found the Handbrake CLI tool (I used Handbrake to originally create the MP4's) does what I want, but this package is also useful. I didn't find it since I was searching for mp4, not mpeg4

Chris--

Old 08-08-2011, 05:52 AM
"Sharl.Jimh.Tsin"

在 2011-08-07日的 15:38 +0300,Tero Pesonen写道:
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2011, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm looking for a tool in ubuntu that can tell me exactly what streams an MP4 file contains, both the video and audo streams, the codecs, etc. The main piece of information I am after is the number of audio channels (stereo, 5.1 etc.) in each audio stream.
> >
> >Ideally command line, but GUI would be fine.
> >
> >I've searched around and not found anything that gives what I need. I sure there must be something but I just not looking in the right place... ?
>
> On my 10.10, there's a package called mpeg4ip-utils, containing:
>
> - mp4info - display information about tracks in mp4 file
> - mp4dump - dumps contents from mp4 files
> - mp4trackdump - dumps track information
> - mp4tags - sets iTunes tag information
> - mp4art - extract iTunes cover art
> - mp4videoinfo - dump information about video tracks in mp4 files
>
> Maybe that helps.
>
> --
> Tero Pesonen

oh,it seems that the package "mpeg4ip-utils" does not contain those
packages you listed on Ubuntu natty.

there are only libmpeg4ip-0 and mpeg4ip-utils two there.

--
Best regards,
Sharl.Jimh.Tsin (From China **Obviously Taiwan INCLUDED**)

Using Gmail? Please read this important notice:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/jstrap/gmail?10073.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:49 AM
baldyeti

How about media-info? Their "download" page lists a ubuntu ppa

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download

Old 08-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/8/7 Chris Jones <jonesc@hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a tool in ubuntu that can tell me exactly what streams an MP4 file contains, both the video and audo streams, the codecs, etc. The main piece of information I am after is the number of audio channels (stereo, 5.1 etc.) in each audio stream.

Can't you do that with mplayer or SoX?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ