Old 08-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Mihamina de Rakotomandimby

Default forum archive not accessible anonymously

Hi all,

When performing Google search, I often get a "UbuntuForum" post as
result.

Unfortunately, I get blocked because I must sign in to access the
content.

1) Would you know why?
2) I think Google indexes it anonymously, so why cant I read it as
anonymous?

Old 08-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Colin Law

On 2 August 2011 07:40, Mihamina de Rakotomandimby
<rakotomandimby@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When performing Google search, I often get a "UbuntuForum" post as
> result.
>
> Unfortunately, I get blocked because I must sign in to access the
> content.
>
> 1) Would you know why?
> 2) I think Google indexes it anonymously, so why cant I read it as
> anonymous?

Can you provide an example of such a page?

Colin

Old 08-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Tom H

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 2 August 2011 07:40, Mihamina de Rakotomandimby
> <rakotomandimby@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> When performing Google search, I often get a "UbuntuForum" post as
>> result.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I get blocked because I must sign in to access the
>> content.
>>
>> 1) Would you know why?
>>
>> 2) I think Google indexes it anonymously, so why cant I read it as
>> anonymous?
>
> Can you provide an example of such a page?

It's happened to me too in the past.

For example,
leads me to a login page rather than the thread.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Alan Pope

On 7 August 2011 08:36, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 2 August 2011 07:40, Mihamina de Rakotomandimby
> <rakotomandimby@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When performing Google search, I often get a "UbuntuForum" post as
>> result.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I get blocked because I must sign in to access the
>> content.
>>
>> 1) Would you know why?

Yes. Older posts are being blocked so that people don't stumble upon
them. Many of the posts in the forums archive are old and in many ways
just wrong. So rather than delete them, they're still there but only
authenticated people can see them. The idea is that the forums admins
block search engines so eventually they will forget this stuff exists
and it wont show up in search results.

>> 2) I think Google indexes it anonymously, so why cant I read it as
>> anonymous?

Google indexed it a long time ago. You have to go out of your way to
make google forget something.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Colin Law

On 7 August 2011 09:59, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> On 7 August 2011 08:36, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 2 August 2011 07:40, Mihamina de Rakotomandimby
>> <rakotomandimby@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> When performing Google search, I often get a "UbuntuForum" post as
>>> result.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I get blocked because I must sign in to access the
>>> content.
>>>
>>> 1) Would you know why?
>
> Yes. Older posts are being blocked so that people don't stumble upon
> them.

What age are they being blocking at?

Colin

Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Alan Pope

On 7 August 2011 10:44, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> What age are they being blocking at?

I don't recall. Probably something like 2007 and older, but don't
quote me on that.

I suspect it's not working properly and some robots.txt fiddling may
be required by the forums admins.

Al.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 07/08/11 03:59, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 7 August 2011 08:36, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 2 August 2011 07:40, Mihamina de Rakotomandimby
>> <rakotomandimby@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> When performing Google search, I often get a "UbuntuForum" post as
>>> result.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I get blocked because I must sign in to access the
>>> content.
>>>
>>> 1) Would you know why?
>
> Yes. Older posts are being blocked so that people don't stumble upon
> them. Many of the posts in the forums archive are old and in many ways
> just wrong. So rather than delete them, they're still there but only
> authenticated people can see them. The idea is that the forums admins
> block search engines so eventually they will forget this stuff exists
> and it wont show up in search results.
>
>>> 2) I think Google indexes it anonymously, so why cant I read it as
>>> anonymous?
>>

> Google indexed it a long time ago. You have to go out of your way to
> make google forget something.

Throw up a 410 header when you detect Google or another bot on those
pages and the bot will be tricker-ied into removing it stat. They don't
joke around with them 410's. Mostly because most software for the web is
too lazy to differ (or just doesn't know the difference) between 404 and
410 so when those bots see a 410 they assume you know what you're on
about if you're using it and do as you want. You should also consider
adjusting your meta tags and adding another:

It'll pick up the rules in your other generic bot meta too. Adding that
meta tag will be worthless if you pass Googlebot at 410 but it's still
worth it to add if you plan on keeping it the way you do.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Tom H

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> On 7 August 2011 10:44, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What age are they being blocking at?
>
> I don't recall. Probably something like 2007 and older, but don't
> quote me on that.

The one that I posted was from 2007 so you're within that range.

It's a weird policy though!

Old 08-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Alan Pope

On 7 August 2011 14:14, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's a weird policy though!

Unfortunately there's a lot of "wrong" on the internet, rubbing some
of it out isn't easy

Cheers,
Al.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:32 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 09:14:42 -0400
Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> didst polemicize thusly:

> On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> > On 7 August 2011 10:44, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> What age are they being blocking at?
> >
> > I don't recall. Probably something like 2007 and older, but don't
> > quote me on that.
>
> The one that I posted was from 2007 so you're within that range.
>
> It's a weird policy though!

The page you referenced also says, "You are browsing a READ only
archive of the main support categories pre 4/21/2008."

I'd guess that indicates the age of 'blocked' articles.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes