Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   Modified Ubuntu server (10.04) image with iso-scan/filename (casper)? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/560905-modified-ubuntu-server-10-04-image-iso-scan-filename-casper.html)

Tom H 08-05-2011 03:07 PM

Modified Ubuntu server (10.04) image with iso-scan/filename (casper)?
 
On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Oliver Schneider <Borbarad@gmxpro.net> wrote:
>
> as I see it, the initrd on the installation ISO of the server version
> (10.04.3 x64) does not include casper and the feature that allows to
> find the media with the ISO file from which I want to boot. The media is
> a flash drive with grub2, in case that matters.
>
> Does anyone know a simple method to embed just the feature that scans
> for the media into the initrd? I found some bits and pieces after
> installing casper onto a previously installed Ubuntu.
>
> I unpacked it and found a script named /init ... can I go ahead and
> modify that, or is there a less invasive way to change the behavior of
> the initialization code?

I don't really understand what you mean by "find the media with the
ISO file from which I want to boot" but, if enabling hardware
autoconfiguration by editing "/init" works for you, why not?

A canonical, standard way might be to create a Server Live CD.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Goh Lip 08-05-2011 03:23 PM

Modified Ubuntu server (10.04) image with iso-scan/filename (casper)?
 
On 08/05/2011 11:07 PM, Tom H wrote:

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Oliver Schneider<Borbarad@gmxpro.net> wrote:


as I see it, the initrd on the installation ISO of the server version
(10.04.3 x64) does not include casper and the feature that allows to
find the media with the ISO file from which I want to boot. The media is
a flash drive with grub2, in case that matters.

Does anyone know a simple method to embed just the feature that scans
for the media into the initrd? I found some bits and pieces after
installing casper onto a previously installed Ubuntu.

I unpacked it and found a script named /init ... can I go ahead and
modify that, or is there a less invasive way to change the behavior of
the initialization code?


I don't really understand what you mean by "find the media with the
ISO file from which I want to boot" but, if enabling hardware
autoconfiguration by editing "/init" works for you, why not?

A canonical, standard way might be to create a Server Live CD.




I think Oliver is talking about booting up the iso file directly from
grub2 by using loopback.


I am not familiar with server version but I know that the alternate
install cd does not come with casper either, so booting alternate cd iso
will not work (unlike desktop install).


Oliver, if that is what you are referring to, and if you find a way to
boot up without casper, let us know too.


Regards - Goh Lip

--
Do not read this sentence.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Goh Lip 08-05-2011 03:51 PM

Modified Ubuntu server (10.04) image with iso-scan/filename (casper)?
 
On 08/05/2011 11:23 PM, Goh Lip wrote:


I think Oliver is talking about booting up the iso file directly from
grub2 by using loopback.


.
.

Oliver, if that is what you are referring to, and if you find a way to
boot up without casper, let us know too.



*OR*
If you just want a way to find the media where the file is located, just
use search.file


search.file /xxxx/xxxxx/xxxxxxx.iso --set=root

The following
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Embedded-configuration

gives examples of search.fs_label and search.fs_uuid
but search.file is equally valid.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, though.

Regards - Goh Lip


--
Do not read this sentence.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Tom H 08-05-2011 06:10 PM

Modified Ubuntu server (10.04) image with iso-scan/filename (casper)?
 
On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 08/05/2011 11:07 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Oliver Schneider<Borbarad@gmxpro.net>
>> *wrote:
>>>
>>> as I see it, the initrd on the installation ISO of the server version
>>> (10.04.3 x64) does not include casper and the feature that allows to
>>> find the media with the ISO file from which I want to boot. The media is
>>> a flash drive with grub2, in case that matters.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know a simple method to embed just the feature that scans
>>> for the media into the initrd? I found some bits and pieces after
>>> installing casper onto a previously installed Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> I unpacked it and found a script named /init ... can I go ahead and
>>> modify that, or is there a less invasive way to change the behavior of
>>> the initialization code?
>>
>> I don't really understand what you mean by "find the media with the
>> ISO file from which I want to boot" but, if enabling hardware
>> autoconfiguration by editing "/init" works for you, why not?
>>
>> A canonical, standard way might be to create a Server Live CD.


> I think Oliver is talking about booting up the iso file directly from grub2
> by using loopback.

It was a confusing way of putting it but you may very well be right! :)


> I am not familiar with server version but I know that the alternate install
> cd does not come with casper either, so booting alternate cd iso will not
> work (unlike desktop install).
>
> Oliver, if that is what you are referring to, and if you find a way to boot
> up without casper, let us know too.

Both the alternate and server CDs use the debian-installer.

Downloading a Debian Live CD and taking a look at how it's set up might help.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:20 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.