Old 08-04-2011, 11:45 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default how to point pdflatex at a non-packaged install of beamer?

trying to make a long story short, i want to use the "beamer" to
write a slide presentation in tex, then convert to pdf. i know there
is a latex-beamer package (version 3.07), and it's easy enough to
install it, write a simple tex file, then use pdflatex to convert it
to pdf.

however, there is a newer version of beamer (3.10) that i can't find
as a ubuntu package but i'd rather use that. now i just need a way to
tell pdflatex that, when i run invoke it against a beamer tex file, i
want it to use the untarred 3.10 beamer files rather than the 3.07
files that are installed under /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex.

i'm guessing that, when i run pdflatex and have a tex file that
starts with

documentclass{beamer}

that command, by default, looks in that /usr/share/... directory. but
i just don't see a pdflatex option that tells it to look elsewhere.
help?

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 08-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Andrew Farris

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 19:45 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
[snip]
> however, there is a newer version of beamer (3.10) that i can't find
> as a ubuntu package but i'd rather use that. now i just need a way to
> tell pdflatex that, when i run invoke it against a beamer tex file, i
> want it to use the untarred 3.10 beamer files rather than the 3.07
> files that are installed under /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex.
>
> i'm guessing that, when i run pdflatex and have a tex file that
> starts with
>
> documentclass{beamer}
>
> that command, by default, looks in that /usr/share/... directory. but
> i just don't see a pdflatex option that tells it to look elsewhere.
> help?

Robert,

I know it's a few days late, but I think that pdflatex will look in the
local project directory before looking at the global path for
includes/docclasses/etc, so unpacking it to your project dir might be
quick (if messy) one-time solution here.

As for permanently re-directing pdftex to another location, I haven't
the foggiest... but if you find it out, I'd love to hear about it (you
never know when things like that will prove useful :] ).

Good luck!

--
Andrew