FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Graham Stacy
 
Default Unity Compatibility Issues

I have an Ace notebook with Ubuntu 11.04 on it, both Unity and Gnome work fine on it but when I've tried to install 11.04 on some of my desktops (mainly HPs) I've consistently received a message saying Unity will not function properly and I have to use Ubuntu Classic. Does anybody know how to get Unity to work on ay Linux compatible desktop?

Sent from my iPad
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Colin Law
 
Default Unity Compatibility Issues

On 4 August 2011 17:49, Graham Stacy <gleestacy@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have an Ace notebook with Ubuntu 11.04 on it, both Unity and Gnome work fine on it but when I've tried to install 11.04 on some of my desktops (mainly HPs) I've consistently received a message saying Unity will not function properly and I have to use Ubuntu Classic. Does anybody know how to get Unity to work on ay Linux compatible desktop?

Unity requires 3D capable graphics hardware (whatever that is). If
your hardware does not provide this then install unity-2d.
sudo apt-get install unity-2d

Hopefully eventually the system will automatically fall back to the 2d
version if the hardware requires it.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Liam Proven
 
Default Unity Compatibility Issues

On 4 August 2011 18:14, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Hopefully eventually the system will automatically fall back to the 2d
> version if the hardware requires it.

This is what 11.10 will do.


--
Liam Proven • Info & profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/lproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Colin Law
 
Default Unity Compatibility Issues

On 4 August 2011 18:59, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 August 2011 18:14, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hopefully eventually the system will automatically fall back to the 2d
>> version if the hardware requires it.
>
> This is what 11.10 will do.

That is good to know, I will be trying it when it gets to Beta release.
I hope it falls back on the fly, my laptop hardware supports 3d when
used with its built in display, but when second monitor is plugged in
the virtual desktop is too large and it must fall back to 2d.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Jordon Bedwell
 
Default Unity Compatibility Issues

On 04/08/11 14:03, Colin Law wrote:
> That is good to know, I will be trying it when it gets to Beta release.
> I hope it falls back on the fly, my laptop hardware supports 3d when
> used with its built in display, but when second monitor is plugged in
> the virtual desktop is too large and it must fall back to 2d.

That would pretty legit w/ ultra-conservative switchable graphics too.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:29 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org