Old 08-05-2011, 06:11 PM
NoOp

Default Printer's font

On 08/04/2011 08:54 AM, H.S.Rai wrote:
> Self test for Dot Matrix printer is OK, but when I print from browser,
> quality is not good.
>
> cat fileName > /dev/lp0 is also good. This is shared printer used by
> many Ubuntu machines.
>
> Is there any way to instruct Ubuntu to use default font from printer
> and not use from the software setting on PC?

What is the exact model of the printer & what printer drivers are you
using/trying?

Old 08-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 22:33 +0530, H.S.Rai wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I collected about 4 various old timey line printers that could print a
> > box of paper in no time flat. They weighed a ton, too! Ah... the days of
>
> If I can get reply to my query, I will be grateful.
>
> Discussion have been taken a different turn ;-)

Then it looks like no one has a good answer for you except, as noted,
you have just a small selection of fonts builtin to your printer that
you can use. I would suggest you consult your user manual (or Google
<GASP!>) for ideas, as no one else seems to have a clue. Your printer
may work in Windows with some sort of installed driver, and you would
need the same for your Linux install then.

There is the old HOW-TO on Linux printing to read, or google on that.
Maybe you can get it to cough something out from command line. If that
doesn't work, you'll need to invest even more google time for an answer.
Sorry, I'm not sure my old serial 300 baud Teletype would work with
Linux anymore. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 05/08/11 13:13, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 22:33 +0530, H.S.Rai wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I collected about 4 various old timey line printers that could print a
>> > box of paper in no time flat. They weighed a ton, too! Ah... the days of
>>
>> If I can get reply to my query, I will be grateful.
>>
>> Discussion have been taken a different turn ;-)
>
> Then it looks like no one has a good answer for you except, as noted,
> you have just a small selection of fonts builtin to your printer that
> you can use. I would suggest you consult your user manual (or Google
> <GASP!>) for ideas, as no one else seems to have a clue. Your printer
> may work in Windows with some sort of installed driver, and you would
> need the same for your Linux install then.
>
> There is the old HOW-TO on Linux printing to read, or google on that.
> Maybe you can get it to cough something out from command line. If that
> doesn't work, you'll need to invest even more google time for an answer.
> Sorry, I'm not sure my old serial 300 baud Teletype would work with
> Linux anymore. Ric

If I remember right (and I could be way wrong since I don't mess with
printers much because everything I do is digital) you have to force the
font with the browser? I don't think there is a way to force the system
to use a default font for printing, I guess you could pull some IO
trickery and print it to a file, convert it then send it to the printer
but that would probably be way above what you want and it would be
easier to just go ahead and buy a new printer since now days they are
really cheap.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 16:09 -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 05/08/11 13:13, Ric Moore wrote:
> >>
> >> If I can get reply to my query, I will be grateful.
> >>
> >> Discussion have been taken a different turn ;-)
> >
> > Then it looks like no one has a good answer for you except, as noted,
> > you have just a small selection of fonts builtin to your printer that
> > you can use. I would suggest you consult your user manual (or Google
> > <GASP!>) for ideas, as no one else seems to have a clue. Your printer
> > may work in Windows with some sort of installed driver, and you would
> > need the same for your Linux install then.
> >
> > There is the old HOW-TO on Linux printing to read, or google on that.
> > Maybe you can get it to cough something out from command line. If that
> > doesn't work, you'll need to invest even more google time for an answer.
> > Sorry, I'm not sure my old serial 300 baud Teletype would work with
> > Linux anymore. Ric
>
> If I remember right (and I could be way wrong since I don't mess with
> printers much because everything I do is digital) you have to force the
> font with the browser? I don't think there is a way to force the system
> to use a default font for printing, I guess you could pull some IO
> trickery and print it to a file, convert it then send it to the printer
> but that would probably be way above what you want and it would be
> easier to just go ahead and buy a new printer since now days they are
> really cheap.

He wants to use carbon paper to make multiple copies. Like you I've
forgotten all that piping to LPR jazz... but there must be tons of old
docs on the web for that topic. I'm not going on a witch hunt for them
though... I would think cups would handle it. <shudders> Ric

Linux user# 44256