Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Mike Cardwell

Default Customising the Alternate Install image (a modified kernel)

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place to ask this question.
Please point me in the right direction if not.

I installed Ubuntu 11.04 using the alternate install image. I then built
my own custom kernel .deb (I need to apply a patch). All worked fine.

However, I need this patch to be applied *before* I install, as it's an
encryption algorithm, and I want to use it for encrypting / for FDE.

So my idea was to create a custom version of the alternate install image
with a patched kernel on that. I've found lots of instructions on how to
customise the alternate install image, but they're only for making
cosmetic changes and adding packages. Not for making kernel modifications.

How can I build an exact copy of the alternate install image kernel with
a slight modification, and then add it to my custom image?

Thanks,

--
Mike Cardwell https://grepular.com/ https://twitter.com/mickeyc
Professional http://cardwellit.com/ http://linkedin.com/in/mikecardwell