Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Amrit Pal Pathak

Default Permission to directory in /var/www

I have a fresh system i.e *newly installed ubuntu 10.04.Apache is installed using "sudo apt-get install apache2".I tested it by making a test.php file in /var/www and it is accessible from browser.Now i copied a directory to /var/www *but it is not being accessible from browser.It gives the following dreading message.

ForbiddenYou don't have permission to access /GNDEC-SMS-Service/ on this server.

Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) Server at localhost Port 80*

I changed the permission of the directory to 755 but it didn't work.Similarly 775 still didnt work.I know its a permission issue.Can anybody please tell me which permission i should give to /var/www/directory so that i can access it .

--
*Thank you !!
*

*amritpalpathak.blogspot.com

Old 08-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Md Ashickur Rahman Noor

Change the folder permission to 777 by using chmod.----------------------------------------------------------
Dedicated Linux Forum in Bangladesh

Follow Me Twiter
Thank you
Md Ashickur Rahman

Old 08-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Md Ashickur Rahman Noor

Edit your /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini file in line number 531 make that line like
display_errors = On

which may be by default like
display_errors = Off

and 542 number line
display_startup_errors = Onwhich may be by default like

display_startup_errors = Off

*then restart your apache server by
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Now browse* localhost/directoryName

If there is any error, it will be shown.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Amrit Pal Pathak