FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Karl Auer
 
Default torrent source for natty?

On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 14:21 -0300, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Alan Pope <alan@popey.com> wrote:
> > On 3 August 2011 18:06, Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au> wrote:
> >> I'd like to download Natty, and I'd like to do it via a torrent - but
> >> none of the torrent links on the Ubuntu site work for me. They all lead
> >> to "Object not found" errors.
> >>
> >
> > http://releases.ubuntu.com/11.04/
> > Tried those?

Thanks, Al, yes. That is in fact the site I meant when I said "the
Ubuntu site", perhaps I should have been more specific. I followed the
links from ubuntu.com on down, ending up at the official Ubuntu
alternative downloads page, namely:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/alternative-download

All the 11.04 BitTorrent links on that page fail the same way for me,
with "Object not found" (I didn't try any other links). They are all
links into the tree you mention, for example:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu-11.04-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent

Have *you* tried those links - do they work for you?

> Ever tried zsync?
>
> http://zsync.moria.org.uk/

I'm not sure why you are suggesting this, Lucio. zsync is a file
transfer protocol. Not even zsync can transfer an initial copy of a file
any faster than anything else. I'm sure its wonderful, but that site is
not a source of Ubuntu downloads. Maybe I missed something.

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer/ +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: DA41 51B1 1481 16E1 F7E2 B2E9 3007 14ED 5736 F687
Old fingerprint: B386 7819 B227 2961 8301 C5A9 2EBC 754B CD97 0156
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi
 
Default torrent source for natty?

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 14:21 -0300, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>
>> Ever tried zsync?
>>
>> http://zsync.moria.org.uk/
>
> I'm not sure why you are suggesting this, Lucio. zsync is a file
> transfer protocol. Not even zsync can transfer an initial copy of a file
> any faster than anything else. I'm sure its wonderful, but that site is
> not a source of Ubuntu downloads. Maybe I missed something.
>
> Regards, K.

K.

My fault, I was thinking in Oneiric. Zsync is perfect for updating
ever changing .iso files, like those from
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/ without downloading everything again.
You can find it with Synaptic.

L.




--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
Open Source Implementation
System and Applications
GNU/Linux

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Avi Greenbury
 
Default torrent source for natty?

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

> My fault, I was thinking in Oneiric. Zsync is perfect for updating
> ever changing .iso files, like those from
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/ without downloading everything again.
> You can find it with Synaptic.

Zsync's been available for quite a while, but from the sound of the OP
he's after his first Natty ISO, so zsync's still not the tool for the
job. Which is why he asked for a torrent.

--
Avi

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Karl Auer
 
Default torrent source for natty?

On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 19:57 +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Zsync's been available for quite a while, but from the sound of the OP
> he's after his first Natty ISO, so zsync's still not the tool for the
> job. Which is why he asked for a torrent.

Just so.

But even after figuring out that releases.ubuntu.com doesn't do IPv6 and
working around that, there was zero activity on those torrents after
about an hour, so the slow road seems to be the one that'll get me there
in the end - a standard single-connection download :-)

It's been running for a while now. and it's 32% done! Woohoo!
Smoke-belchin', neck-snappin' speed, that's what I like.

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer/ +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: DA41 51B1 1481 16E1 F7E2 B2E9 3007 14ED 5736 F687
Old fingerprint: B386 7819 B227 2961 8301 C5A9 2EBC 754B CD97 0156
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:57 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org