Old 08-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Firesam

Default I did 'sudo usermod -G' instead of '-a -G'

I accidently usermod without appened. I only realised the next time I
tried sudo and was not in sudoers. I was able to fix it by booting into
root account and usermod -a -G admin <user>. My question is what else
did I break that needs fixing? Is there a file that might be backed up
that I can replace?

Thanks.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:04 PM
PleegWat

I accidently usermod without appened. I only realised the next time I
tried sudo and was not in sudoers. I was able to fix it by booting into
root account and usermod -a -G admin<user>. My question is what else
did I break that needs fixing? Is there a file that might be backed up
that I can replace?

Thanks.

These are the groups I'm in on my system, apart from the one equal to my
username:

adm dialout cdrom plugdev lpadmin admin sambashare vboxusers mythtv

The file to back up is /etc/group

PleegWat

Old 08-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Fire Sam

I accidently usermod without appened. I only realised the next time I

tried sudo and was not in sudoers. I was able to fix it by booting into

root account and usermod -a -G admin<user>. My question is what else

did I break that needs fixing? Is there a file that might be backed up

that I can replace?

These are the groups I'm in on my system, apart from the one equal to my username:

adm dialout cdrom plugdev lpadmin admin sambashare vboxusers mythtv

The file to back up is /etc/group

PleegWat

I guess each system will be a little different. What about using the GUI
and under users and groups setting account type to administrator? Would
that restore all the default groups? Right now it is custom with only

the groups i manually added from cli.
*

Old 08-02-2011, 08:02 PM
NoOp

On 08/02/2011 10:45 AM, Firesam wrote:

> I accidently usermod without appened. I only realised the next time I
> tried sudo and was not in sudoers. I was able to fix it by booting into
> root account and usermod -a -G admin <user>. My question is what else
> did I break that needs fixing? Is there a file that might be backed up
> that I can replace?

This may help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sudoers

Old 08-02-2011, 08:07 PM
NoOp

On 08/02/2011 01:02 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/02/2011 10:45 AM, Firesam wrote:
>>
>> I accidently usermod without appened. I only realised the next time I
>> tried sudo and was not in sudoers. I was able to fix it by booting into
>> root account and usermod -a -G admin <user>. My question is what else
>> did I break that needs fixing? Is there a file that might be backed up
>> that I can replace?
>
> This may help:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sudoers
Sorry, forgot to also add this one:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/fixsudo

Old 08-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Avi Greenbury

Firesam wrote:

> I accidently usermod without appened. I only realised the next time I
> tried sudo and was not in sudoers. I was able to fix it by booting
> into root account and usermod -a -G admin <user>. My question is what
> else did I break that needs fixing? Is there a file that might be
> backed up that I can replace?

Probably nothing else, assuming you actually put the users back. Any
files that're backed up are those that your backups have created which,
incidentally, would be a useful thing to restore from.

--
Avi

Old 08-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Firesam

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 13:45 -0400, Firesam wrote:
> I accidently usermod without appened. I only realised the next time I
> tried sudo and was not in sudoers. I was able to fix it by booting into
> root account and usermod -a -G admin <user>. My question is what else
> did I break that needs fixing? Is there a file that might be backed up
> that I can replace?
>

> Thanks.

[solved]
My solution was to use the gui "users and groups" and change from custom
to administrators group. This automatically added me to all the right
(default) groups. I was able to take it from there.

Thanks again