Old 08-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default Php files are not being browse

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Amrit Pal Pathak
<amritpalpathak1@gmail.com> wrote:

> When i try to browse* php file on my system it dont browse.But browse ask to
> download it (save).
> Why?
> I have install php and apache2 with ubuntu 10.04
> --
Paste the permissions of your document root or where ever ur files are.
Your Apache log when you try to access them and your vhost config files.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Amrit Pal Pathak

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 5:28 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Amrit Pal Pathak

<amritpalpathak1@gmail.com> wrote:

> When i try to browse* php file on my system it dont browse.But browse ask to

> download it (save).

> Why?

> I have install php and apache2 with ubuntu 10.04

> --

Paste the permissions of your document root or where ever ur files are.

Your Apache log when you try to access them and your vhost config files.
* * Files are placed at /var/www and on Desktop.From any*
** location it is not being browse*

*Thank you !!
*
*Regards
*Amrit Pal

*amritpalpathak.blogspot.com

Old 08-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Amrit Pal Pathak
<amritpalpathak1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 5:28 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Amrit Pal Pathak
>> <amritpalpathak1@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > When i try to browse* php file on my system it dont browse.But browse
>> > ask to
>> > download it (save).
>> > Why?
>> > I have install php and apache2 with ubuntu 10.04
>> > --
>> Paste the permissions of your document root or where ever ur files are.
>> Your Apache log when you try to access them and your vhost config files.
>
> * * Files are placed at /var/www and on Desktop.From any
> ** location it is not being browse

I wanted to permissions you will get permissions via
ls -l /var/www

and ls -l /home/user/Desktop

paste the permissions of /var/www and any subdirectory inside it plus
the permissions of file in it.
Also paste the permissions of
/home/user/Desktop
any subdirectory or files where you hosted your PHP or HTML files.
The apache log will /var/log some where there and /etc/apache2/
is where your configuration will be for which ever site you have
enabled and not working post that also.
That will help any one not only me on the list to be able to reply to
your message.
When you write
"* location it is not being browse*" we do not understand what that
means.So follow the message which I posted so that you may reach a
conclusions.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Amrit Pal Pathak
> <amritpalpathak1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 5:28 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Paste the permissions of your document root or where ever ur files are.
>>> Your Apache log when you try to access them and your vhost config files.
>>
>> * * Files are placed at /var/www and on Desktop.From any
>> ** location it is not being browse

Paste the output of following

webfile="/var/www/index.html"
ls -l "$webfile"
while [ "$webfile" != "/" ]
do
webfile=`dirname "$webfile"`
ls -ld "$webfile"
done

Old 08-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 6:25 AM, Amrit Pal Pathak <amritpalpathak1@gmail.com> wrote:

When i try to browse* php file on my system it dont browse.But browse ask to download it (save).
Why?
I have install php and apache2 with ubuntu 10.04

Is the php module enabled? What is the contents of: */etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php5.conf. There should be something like:**AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml .php3

--**Hal

Old 08-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 02/08/11 15:24, Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 6:25 AM, Amrit Pal Pathak <amritpalpathak1@gmail.com
> <mailto:amritpalpathak1@gmail.com>> wrote:
> When i try to browse php file on my system it dont browse.But browse ask to
> download it (save).
> Why?
> I have install php and apache2 with ubuntu 10.04
> Is the php module enabled? What is the contents of:
> /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php5.conf. There should be something like: AddType
> application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml .php3

Actually the file is /etc/apache2/mods-available/php5.conf and to enable
PHP you would do: sudo a2enmod php5

/etc/apache2/mods-enabled/* are just symbolics to ../mods-available

Old 08-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:

On 02/08/11 15:24, Hal Burgiss wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 6:25 AM, Amrit Pal Pathak <amritpalpathak1@gmail.com

> <mailto:amritpalpathak1@gmail.com>> wrote:

> * * When i try to browse *php file on my system it dont browse.But browse ask to

> * * download it (save).

> * * Why?

> * * I have install php and apache2 with ubuntu 10.04

> Is the php module enabled? What is the contents of:

> /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/php5.conf. There should be something like: *AddType

> application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml .php3

Actually the file is /etc/apache2/mods-available/php5.conf and to enable

PHP you would do: sudo a2enmod php5

True, only if it is installed but not enabled. If enabled, the contents are identical in both places.*

/etc/apache2/mods-enabled/* are just symbolics to ../mods-available

*If the symlink does not exist, then the module is not enabled. If the symlink does exist the contents are identical in both locations as I referenced and this tells us that the module is enabled (or not).*

--
Hal

Old 08-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 04/08/11 08:35, Hal Burgiss wrote:
> True, only if it is installed but not enabled. If enabled, the contents are
> identical in both places.
>
> /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/* are just symbolics to ../mods-available
>
> If the symlink does not exist, then the module is not enabled. If the symlink
> does exist the contents are identical in both locations as I referenced and this
> tells us that the module is enabled (or not).

While I hate to argue semantics here, they are never identical in "both
places" because a symbolic link is nothing but a forward to the source
so it's only in one place and forwarded from another.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:

On 04/08/11 08:35, Hal Burgiss wrote:

> True, only if it is installed but not enabled. If enabled, the contents are

> identical in both places.

> * * /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/* are just symbolics to ../mods-available

> If the symlink does not exist, then the module is not enabled. If the symlink

> does exist the contents are identical in both locations as I referenced and this

> tells us that the module is enabled (or not).

While I hate to argue semantics here, they are never identical in "both

places" because a symbolic link is nothing but a forward to the source

so it's only in one place and forwarded from another.

Please ... the contents are identical, if the symlink exists ... which it should if its enabled. The original point was to see if the file was there at all and not to quibble of the meaning of "identical".
*--
Hal

Old 08-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Colin Law

On 4 August 2011 14:51, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
> On 04/08/11 08:35, Hal Burgiss wrote:
>> True, only if it is installed but not enabled. If enabled, the contents are
>> identical in both places.
>>
>> * * /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/* are just symbolics to ../mods-available
>>
>> If the symlink does not exist, then the module is not enabled. If the symlink
>> does exist the contents are identical in both locations as I referenced and this
>> tells us that the module is enabled (or not).
>
> While I hate to argue semantics here, they are never identical in "both
> places" because a symbolic link is nothing but a forward to the source
> so it's only in one place and forwarded from another.

I always say that pedanticism (not in my spell checker but it aught to
be a word) is a compliment when said of an IT or Software engineer.
The devil is in the details, which we have to get right.

Though I note that Jordon was not quite so keen on pendanticism when I
interpreted his comments literally in a previous thread

No doubt some pedant will correct my use of the word pedanticism.

Colin