Old 08-02-2011, 02:24 AM
Ashley Benton

Default chmod not changing permission

Hi,
I'm trying to change my xorg.conf file because my video card died and I have no Guy anymore. It appears that I cannot start the computer except if I am a root user, may be something else is messed up too, I'm not sure at that point. I tried to replace xorg.conf by xorg.conf.failsafe but it doesn't matter if I sudo or not, the file is not changing. I tried to allow write but when I check the permission doesn't change. Any idea how I could overwrite this file?
Thanks,
Meg

Old 08-02-2011, 05:07 AM
Ashley Benton

Problem solved

I'm trying to change my xorg.conf file because my video card died and I have no Guy anymore. It appears that I cannot start the computer except if I am a root user, may be something else is messed up too, I'm not sure at that point. I tried to replace xorg.conf by xorg.conf.failsafe but it doesn't matter if I sudo or not, the file is not changing. I tried to allow write but when I check the permission doesn't change. Any idea how I could overwrite this file?

This is what I did then rebooted, the write permission is back.* mount -t ext4 -o rw,remount /dev/hda1 /*

Thanks,
Meg

Old 08-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Avi Greenbury

Ashley Benton wrote:

I'm trying to change my xorg.conf file because my video card died and
I have
no Guy anymore. It appears that I cannot start the computer except if
I am a

root user,

Starting the computer happens before you can log in as any user. Does
it ask
for a root password on boot, offering the choice of carrying on the
boot by
hitting ctrl-D? If so, there's something broken at a lower level than
X.

may be something else is messed up too, I'm not sure at that
point. I tried to replace xorg.conf by xorg.conf.failsafe but it
doesn't
matter if I sudo or not, the file is not changing. I tried to allow
write

but when I check the permission doesn't change. Any idea how I could
overwrite this file?

What're the precise commands you are running, what output do you get in
response, and which user are you logged in as?

--
Avi

Old 08-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Ashley Benton

I'm trying to change my xorg.conf file because my video card died and I have

no Guy anymore. It appears that I cannot start the computer except if I am a

root user,

Starting the computer happens before you can log in as any user. Does it ask

for a root password on boot, offering the choice of carrying on the boot by

hitting ctrl-D? If so, there's something broken at a lower level than X.
No at first it just logged on as root (no question asked), now that my system is rw again, I'm log in as a regular user. I was finally able to replace xorg.conf by xorg.conf.failsafe but am now having resolution problems.

may be something else is messed up too, I'm not sure at that

point. I tried to replace xorg.conf by xorg.conf.failsafe but it doesn't

matter if I sudo or not, the file is not changing. I tried to allow write

but when I check the permission doesn't change. Any idea how I could

overwrite this file?

What're the precise commands you are running, what output do you get in

response, and which user are you logged in as?

At the time I was usingcp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe /etc/X11/xorg.conf and logged as root (which was r only, after I corrected the problem it worked)

It did work after I *wrote: "mount -t ext4 -o rw,remount /dev/hda1 /*" then rebooted the computer. Now it seems to be only a screen resolution problem. I will google the issue and see if I can come up with something. The last thing I did was install ndiswrapper before the video card broke. Now the computer apparently doesn't connect on internet when plugged to it so I guess I messed up. I will check history as it was a few weeks ago and see what I can do about that after I fix the screen resolution.*
Since the computer was unable to connect on internet and was starting after I install ndiswrapper I am guessing that it is only a screen resolution problem now and that ndiswrapper has nothing to do with my screen problem. I think it only affects my internet troubles. I'll get around it.

Thanks,

Meg

--

Avi