Old 08-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Avi Greenbury

Default slightly OT: no os laptops - am I still paying $$ for an OS license?

Evuraan wrote:

> - is there still a hidden OS license I am paying for, on those? I see
> elsewhere (http://bit.ly/qIBVJX) that it is $45.00 minimum for this
> stuff.

Even with a Windows laptop you're hardly paying much for the license.
The manufacturers famously pay a pittance for the license, and so the
license itself is only worth, at most, the greater of the fiver or
so they pay and the not-a-lot-more that they're willing to refund, if
they refund at all. The retail value of the OS doesn't really come into
it.

But, to answer your question, yes, there will be at least some nominal
cost of a DOS license included in that, as there is for the license to
use whichever BIOS they're using and the like.

--
Avi