Old 07-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Jordon Bedwell

Default Extremely poor internet speed in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

On 31/07/11 04:11, PM wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Ernest Doub <hideserted@gmail.com
> <mailto:hideserted@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Define "my speed is poor". Are we talking 50mb/s or less, 100mb/ ? What?
>

> It is 10 Kbps only.
>
> Are you sure you are connected on a 3G speed line all the way through? One
> slow node drags your throughput down to the speed of that node.
> Unless your hardware is all less than a year old you are probably on a USB
> 1.0 line.
>

> It is USB 2.0 as when windows was there, everything was working with 2.0. But I
> don't know where it is missing here?

Try typing the command: dmesg
see if you see anything about your modem.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:23 PM
PM

Please see the ouput of 'dmesg' here:

http://pastebin.com/bc7ghK8y

Old 07-31-2011, 07:31 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 12:48:01AM -0700, Ernest Doub wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:21 PM, PM <reallife@hmamail.com> wrote:
>
> > hi,
> >
> > It is really nice to see Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, cool.
> >
> > I have two issues (initially when I installed Ubuntu):
> >
> > (i) When I connected to the internet using Alcatel Data Card (X220 HSPA),
> > and the connection being reliance, it sometimes connects me and sometimes
> > not, so I edit the network connections again and again whenever I login to
> > the Ubuntu. Then I saw that if the Data Card is connected directly to the
> > usb port (without using a cable, as I was using earlier), the probability to
> > get connected to the internet is more than the case when I connect the data
> > card through the cable, so I just removed the cable. But still I am facing
> > speed issues, for even 3G connection this is showing me a really very poor
> > speed!! How could be speed be increased at least to the level the system
> > might support?
> > However I have installed the driver and the net is getting connected, but
> > this a issue I must escalate.
> >
> > (ii) When I started playing a video file, it says that it needs some
> > particular package (e.g. 'universe freepats 20060219-1', etc..) and then
> > started fetching directly from the net. As my speed is poor, can one let me
> > know if we can directly download all the packages (most common w.r.t. audio
> > and video files) from some outside and net and then can install offline, but
> > how?
> >
> > Rgs.
> >
> > --
> >

> Define "my speed is poor". Are we talking 50mb/s or less, 100mb/ ? What?
> Are you sure you are connected on a 3G speed line all the way through? One
> slow node drags your throughput down to the speed of that node.
> Unless your hardware is all less than a year old you are probably on a USB
> 1.0 line.

A search reveals that usb 2.0 was released in April 2000. I don't think
it took h/w manufacturers 10 years to implement it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_2.0

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,