Old 08-03-2011, 06:32 PM
"Hermann J. Beckers"

Default UEFI and grub2

Am Sunday, 31. July 2011 schrieb Tom H:

> True about extended partitions. Also, IIRC, the "fdisk -l" "System"
> column should be "GPT" and the "Id" column "ee" for a GPT disk.

Everything is well. I backed up everything and did a new install. The
installer offers three options:

- Kill Bill (aka remove windows 7 completely)
- install besides windows 7
- something else

On my first try I choose the latter option and was asked where to put grub and
I decided to put it into the root partition, because the german wording of
option 2 sounds more like a wubi install (everything in a big file on the
windows partition) to me.

Now I used option 2 and wasn't asked where to put grub. A reboot later now I
have the grub menu which offers me the best of both worlds ... the second
being opensuse which of course had to remove the active flag from the windows
partition (--> "no operating system found "). Again ubuntu to the rescue ...

> What isn't clear is how this box can be sold as an EFI box when it
> clearly isn't.

Yes, that remains the question. The HP start menu with an nonselectable uefi
entry is still there and after that the grub menu shows up and there is no
access to the standard bios menus. Me thinks this entry will be unselectable
until a disk with gpt formatting is attached. Could it be that the boot
process jumps first to the hp recovery/repair partition?

Thanks again, especially to Goh Lip.

Yours
hjb

Old 08-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Goh Lip

On 08/04/2011 02:32 AM, Hermann J. Beckers wrote:

Everything is well. I backed up everything and did a new install.

.
.

Thanks again,

Glad to hear you've got it fixed, Hermann. I really didn't help you much
but you're welcome.

Regards, take care - Goh Lip

Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 03:38 +0800, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 08/04/2011 02:32 AM, Hermann J. Beckers wrote:
> > Everything is well. I backed up everything and did a new install.
> .
> .
> > Thanks again,
>
> Glad to hear you've got it fixed, Hermann. I really didn't help you much
> but you're welcome.
>
> Regards, take care - Goh Lip

I think everyone on the list has some of your emails red-flagged against
deletion to keep the info where it can be gotten to. Useful stuff, Goh!
Shey shey nye! Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Goh Lip

On 08/04/2011 04:15 AM, Ric Moore wrote:

Shey shey nye! Ric

谢谢* to you too.

Regards - Goh Lip