Old 07-31-2011, 01:12 PM
Goh Lip

Default UEFI and grub2

On 07/31/2011 08:43 PM, Hermann J. Beckers wrote:

Sorry, that is the result of my previous knowledge about partitioning. Not
more then 4 primary partitions, so the 4th has to be an extended and
everything else is logical (was at least to me ...).

That applies to the normal msdos partition. In this, you can still have
lots of logical partitions in the extended partition.

In gpt partition, you can have lots lots more partitions and each
partition can be more than 2TB. So people who have more than 2TB
partition has to use gpt partitioning.

But the main use of gpt is for UEFI (as opposed to BIOS) where it is
much much better (and faster, and reliable, and...).

Now personally (speaking, that is), if your computer is on BIOS, there
is really no need for gpt partitioning (unless you have more than 2TB
disks/partition), whereas if your computer is on UEFI (lucky you), you
have to use gpt partitioning.

Regards - Goh Lip
ps: forgot how much is the "lots" and the "lots lots more", it's lots
more than enough to make me forget.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:12 PM
"Hermann J. Beckers"

>o Use gparted from a cdrom
> Delete sda4 and sda5
> Create 2 partitions sda4 and sda5 not as extended or logical
> but *as gpt partitions*.
> sda4 in ext2 150 MB
> sda5 in ext4 the balance.

Sorry, but gparted from the ubuntu 11.04 doesn't allow me to create gpt
partitions, it only nows about primary, extended and logical.

Yours
hjb

Old 07-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Goh Lip