Old 07-31-2011, 06:21 AM
PM

Default Extremely poor internet speed in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

hi,

It is really nice to see Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, cool.

I have two issues (initially when I installed Ubuntu):

(i) When I connected to the internet using Alcatel Data Card (X220 HSPA), and the connection being reliance, it sometimes connects me and sometimes not, so I edit the network connections again and again whenever I login to the Ubuntu. Then I saw that if the Data Card is connected directly to the usb port (without using a cable, as I was using earlier), the probability to get connected to the internet is more than the case when I connect the data card through the cable, so I just removed the cable. But still I am facing speed issues, for even 3G connection this is showing me a really very poor speed!! How could be speed be increased at least to the level the system might support?

However I have installed the driver and the net is getting connected, but this a issue I must escalate.

(ii) When I started playing a video file, it says that it needs some particular package (e.g. 'universe freepats 20060219-1', etc..) and then started fetching directly from the net. As my speed is poor, can one let me know if we can directly download all the packages (most common w.r.t. audio and video files) from some outside and net and then can install offline, but how?

Rgs.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:48 AM
Ernest Doub

[...]

Define "my speed is poor".* Are we talking 50mb/s or less, 100mb/ ? What?*
Are you sure you are connected on a 3G speed line all the way through?* One slow node drags your throughput down to the speed of that node.

Unless your hardware is all less than a year old you are probably on a USB 1.0 line.
Google the specs for 1.0 vs 2.0 and you will quickly see the difference.* This may be your chokepoint.
Your codec packages are all available in the Ubuntu Software Center.

--
When Government fears the people there is Liberty.
When People fear the Government there is Tyranny.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:54 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/7/31 Ernest Doub <hideserted@gmail.com>:

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:21 PM, PM <reallife@hmamail.com> wrote:
>>
>> hi,
>>
>> It is really nice to see Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, cool.
>>
>> I have two issues (initially when I installed Ubuntu):
>>
>> (i) When I connected to the internet using Alcatel Data Card (X220 HSPA),
>> and the connection being reliance, it sometimes connects me and sometimes
>> not, so I edit the network connections again and again whenever I login to
>> the Ubuntu. Then I saw that if the Data Card is connected directly to the
>> usb port (without using a cable, as I was using earlier), the probability to
>> get connected to the internet is more than the case when I connect the data
>> card through the cable, so I just removed the cable. But still I am facing
>> speed issues, for even 3G connection this is showing me a really very poor
>> speed!! How could be speed be increased at least to the level the system
>> might support?
>> However I have installed the driver and the net is getting connected, but
>> this a issue I must escalate.
>>
>> (ii) When I started playing a video file, it says that it needs some
>> particular package (e.g. 'universe freepats 20060219-1', etc..) and then
>> started fetching directly from the net. As my speed is poor, can one let me
>> know if we can directly download all the packages (most common w.r.t. audio
>> and video files) from some outside and net and then can install offline, but
>> how?
>>
>> Rgs.
>>
>> --
>>

> Define "my speed is poor".* Are we talking 50mb/s or less, 100mb/ ? What?

That is probably very poor… Who would accept 100 mb
(millibits/second)? Would take days to download a relatively small
text file…

Okay, of course I know that you mean Mb/s and not mb/s, I just
couldn't stop myself… :P

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 07-31-2011, 09:11 AM
PM

Define "my speed is poor".* Are we talking 50mb/s or less, 100mb/ ? What?

It is 10 Kbps only.
*
Are you sure you are connected on a 3G speed line all the way through?* One slow node drags your throughput down to the speed of that node.

Unless your hardware is all less than a year old you are probably on a USB 1.0 line.

It is USB 2.0 as when windows was there, everything was working with 2.0. But I don't know where it is missing here?

Which codecs packs should I install?
*--

Regards,
PM

Making the simple complicated is commonplace, making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's innovation.. -C Mingus