Old 07-31-2011, 04:33 AM
Ric Moore

Default alsa and the Complete Idiot

Jeeeezzzz, something has gone wonky with 10.4. First off this machine
folded like a house of cards, had to go into rescue mode with the CD and
resurrect grub... thanks for all those posts Goh Lip, they saved my
hide.

So, I'm doing Elmer Fudd hunting the Wumpus. In /var/log/user.log I'm
seeing ALOT of these messages:
Jul 30 23:51:35 iam pulseaudio[2516]: alsa-sink.c: Failed to set software parameters:
Permission denied
Jul 30 23:51:35 iam pulseaudio[2516]: alsa-util.c: Unable to set sw params: Permission
denied
Jul 30 23:51:35 iam pulseaudio[2516]: alsa-sink.c: Failed to set software parameters:
Permission denied
Jul 30 23:51:35 iam pulseaudio[2516]: alsa-util.c: Unable to set sw params: Permission
denied

This sorta sucks. I would rather this not happen. Does anyone have a
clue regarding this? Do I die now? I had been getting some GVFS errors,
and one pundit wrote that the fix was to just erase ~/.gvsf and after a
reboot it would be settled out freshly recreated. The only problem is
that after the re-boot I don't see it being re-created. <swears>

So, now I don't have that directory at all. Is that something to be
missed? Will it come back on it's own or is there some sort of
incantation to invoke it into being?

Thanks, I'm trouble shooting with a shotgun, and feeling like Elmer Fudd
was my daddy. 10.4 has been rock-solid for me, until this folderol. It's
probably about time for something to blow up. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 07-31-2011, 06:01 AM
Goh Lip

Jeeeezzzz, something has gone wonky with 10.4. First off this machine
folded like a house of cards, had to go into rescue mode with the CD and
resurrect grub... thanks for all those posts Goh Lip, they saved my
hide.

Er..., I don't know how I help here but I'll gladly accept your thanks.
You're welcome. <chuckle chuckle>

Regards - Goh Lip

--
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 12:33:00AM -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

........snip......

> This sorta sucks. I would rather this not happen. Does anyone have a
> clue regarding this? Do I die now? I had been getting some GVFS errors,
> and one pundit wrote that the fix was to just erase ~/.gvsf and after a
> reboot it would be settled out freshly recreated. The only problem is
> that after the re-boot I don't see it being re-created. <swears>
>
> So, now I don't have that directory at all. Is that something to be
> missed? Will it come back on it's own or is there some sort of
> incantation to invoke it into being?

Hey Elmer,

I know you know better but I'll say it anyway:

You never ever ever ever ever delete a file on someone's instruction,
even if it's from Blessed Linus himself. You *rename* it and if it's not
recreated per the pundit's advice, you still have the original.

> Thanks, I'm trouble shooting with a shotgun, and feeling like Elmer Fudd
> was my daddy. 10.4 has been rock-solid for me, until this folderol. It's
> probably about time for something to blow up. Ric

> Linux user# 44256

Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,
check the price of the beer.
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 08-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 12:05 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 12:33:00AM -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
>
> ........snip......
> >
> > This sorta sucks. I would rather this not happen. Does anyone have a
> > clue regarding this? Do I die now? I had been getting some GVFS errors,
> > and one pundit wrote that the fix was to just erase ~/.gvsf and after a
> > reboot it would be settled out freshly recreated. The only problem is
> > that after the re-boot I don't see it being re-created. <swears>
> >
> > So, now I don't have that directory at all. Is that something to be
> > missed? Will it come back on it's own or is there some sort of
> > incantation to invoke it into being?
>
> Hey Elmer,
>
> I know you know better but I'll say it anyway:
>
> You never ever ever ever ever delete a file on someone's instruction,
> even if it's from Blessed Linus himself. You *rename* it and if it's not
> recreated per the pundit's advice, you still have the original.

Heh, it took about a day, but it finally re-created itself. But, you're
right.. I should have moved the directory. So far, the machine seems to
have settled down. Good ole 10.04. My faithful mistress... and the only
one I can afford. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-01-2011, 07:07 AM
"Jordon Bedwell"

On Sun, July 31, 2011 5:02 pm, Ric Moore wrote:
> Heh, it took about a day, but it finally re-created itself. But, you're
> right.. I should have moved the directory. So far, the machine seems to
> have settled down. Good ole 10.04. My faithful mistress... and the only
> one I can afford. Ric

Oh no, it didn't settle down, your computer is like a volcano :P

Old 08-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 00:07 -0700, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On Sun, July 31, 2011 5:02 pm, Ric Moore wrote:
> > Heh, it took about a day, but it finally re-created itself. But, you're
> > right.. I should have moved the directory. So far, the machine seems to
> > have settled down. Good ole 10.04. My faithful mistress... and the only
> > one I can afford. Ric
>
> Oh no, it didn't settle down, your computer is like a volcano :P

No foolin' or like a bad mistress or a bad cop, ...one that won't stay
bought. But, I got what I paid for, so being hit with misfortune once in
a great while is no cause for alarm. I took the vacuum cleaner to the
innards, removed the cruft and she's running much cooler now. Cigars and
computers really don't mix. Cigars and tequila don't mix either, but
there ya go. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-01-2011, 08:57 PM
chris

On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 14:24 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 00:07 -0700, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> > On Sun, July 31, 2011 5:02 pm, Ric Moore wrote:
> > > Heh, it took about a day, but it finally re-created itself. But, you're
> > > right.. I should have moved the directory. So far, the machine seems to
> > > have settled down. Good ole 10.04. My faithful mistress... and the only
> > > one I can afford. Ric
> >
> > Oh no, it didn't settle down, your computer is like a volcano :P
>
> No foolin' or like a bad mistress or a bad cop, ...one that won't stay
> bought. But, I got what I paid for, so being hit with misfortune once in
> a great while is no cause for alarm. I took the vacuum cleaner to the
> innards, removed the cruft and she's running much cooler now. Cigars and
> computers really don't mix. Cigars and tequila don't mix either, but
> there ya go. Ric

Did you do the fans and heat sinks?
the kiwi

Old 08-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 08:57 +1200, chris wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 14:24 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > >
> > > Oh no, it didn't settle down, your computer is like a volcano :P
> >
> > No foolin' or like a bad mistress or a bad cop, ...one that won't stay
> > bought. But, I got what I paid for, so being hit with misfortune once in
> > a great while is no cause for alarm. I took the vacuum cleaner to the
> > innards, removed the cruft and she's running much cooler now. Cigars and
> > computers really don't mix. Cigars and tequila don't mix either, but
> > there ya go. Ric
> >

> Did you do the fans and heat sinks?

Oh yessir! She's CLEAN! Next week our organization is buying me an ASUS
motherboard with an AMD 6 core processor and 16 GIGS of ram. Oh yeah...
I'll be in the chips for a least a couple of months, before it's old
news and turns crufty. I'll be adding another identical nVidia graphics
board, so I'll be able to report back on running 4 monitors at once.

But, it'll be much cheaper than that Mac-Mini another poster noted.
Screw a Mac. I shelled out 2 large for my first Apple ][ with two floppy
drives, in 1978 dollars, and got kicked under the bus after a year or
so, for my troubles. So, I couldn't give a whit less for another Apple
nor the horse they rode in on. Take THAT Jobs! I'm still here and happy
as a little wet clam without you! Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 PM
chris

On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 17:32 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 08:57 +1200, chris wrote:

> > > No foolin' or like a bad mistress or a bad cop, ...one that won't stay
> > > bought. But, I got what I paid for, so being hit with misfortune once in
> > > a great while is no cause for alarm. I took the vacuum cleaner to the
> > > innards, removed the cruft and she's running much cooler now. Cigars and
> > > computers really don't mix. Cigars and tequila don't mix either, but
> > > there ya go. Ric
> > >

> > Did you do the fans and heat sinks?
>
> Oh yessir! She's CLEAN! Next week our organization is buying me an ASUS
> motherboard with an AMD 6 core processor and 16 GIGS of ram. Oh yeah...
> I'll be in the chips for a least a couple of months, before it's old
> news and turns crufty. I'll be adding another identical nVidia graphics
> board, so I'll be able to report back on running 4 monitors at once.
>
> But, it'll be much cheaper than that Mac-Mini another poster noted.
> Screw a Mac. I shelled out 2 large for my first Apple ][ with two floppy
> drives, in 1978 dollars, and got kicked under the bus after a year or
> so, for my troubles. So, I couldn't give a whit less for another Apple
> nor the horse they rode in on. Take THAT Jobs! I'm still here and happy
> as a little wet clam without you! Ric

> Linux user# 44256

Proud o' ya son. like to see a horse run clean and groomed. :-)
so what mobo are you getting, and what nvidia cards?
the kid from the south