Old 08-01-2011, 06:30 AM
scar

Default /etc/init.d/networking needs to be restarted

compdoc @ 07/30/2011 02:28 PM:
> I always use a
> bridge with a 2nd, separate ethernet card that the guests use to themsleves.

this is just a home environment and not that serious.

> The mask is an odd number, but maybe you have set it that way for a reason.

no i don't. it might be just some quirk that's been carried on over the
years in my router firmware. guess i could set it back to 255.255.255.0

Old 08-02-2011, 08:17 AM
scar

Tom H @ 07/31/2011 03:44 AM:
> You should have "iface eth0 inet manual" and not "iface eth0 inet dhcp".

OK after changing that and restarting the system, i didn't have to
restart networking, so maybe that fixed it!

Old 08-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 4:17 AM, scar <scar@drigon.com> wrote:
> Tom H @ 07/31/2011 03:44 AM:
>>
>> You should have "iface eth0 inet manual" and not "iface eth0 inet dhcp".
>
> OK after changing that and restarting the system, i didn't have to
> restart networking, so maybe that fixed it!

I hope so. It should!

Old 08-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 4:17 AM, scar <scar@drigon.com> wrote:
>> Tom H @ 07/31/2011 03:44 AM:
>>>
>>> You should have "iface eth0 inet manual" and not "iface eth0 inet dhcp".
>>
>> OK after changing that and restarting the system, i didn't have to
>> restart networking, so maybe that fixed it!
>
> I hope so. It should!

What I don't understand in your setup is that if I set "iface eth0
inet dhcp", eth0 gets the same address as br0, whereas your eth0
didn't get an address.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:47 PM
scar

scar @ 08/02/2011 01:17 AM:
> Tom H @ 07/31/2011 03:44 AM:
>> You should have "iface eth0 inet manual" and not "iface eth0 inet dhcp".
>
> OK after changing that and restarting the system, i didn't have to
> restart networking, so maybe that fixed it!

so far the only issue i have now is some services are binding to the
virbr0 address, when they should be binding to the br0/eth0 address.
namely, a couple of bacula daemons, and it looks like a DNS daemon
although i don't know why the machine is running DNS since i use my
router for that:

tcp 0 0 192.168.122.1:9101 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 192.168.122.1:9102 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 192.168.122.1:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

how can this be addressed?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM, scar <scar@drigon.com> wrote:
> scar @ 08/02/2011 01:17 AM:
>> Tom H @ 07/31/2011 03:44 AM:
>>> You should have "iface eth0 inet manual" and not "iface eth0 inet dhcp".
>>
>> OK after changing that and restarting the system, i didn't have to
>> restart networking, so maybe that fixed it!
>
> so far the only issue i have now is some services are binding to the
> virbr0 address, when they should be binding to the br0/eth0 address.
> namely, a couple of bacula daemons, and it looks like a DNS daemon
> although i don't know why the machine is running DNS since i use my
> router for that:
>
> tcp * * * *0 * * *0 192.168.122.1:9101 * * *0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN
> tcp * * * *0 * * *0 192.168.122.1:9102 * * *0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN
> tcp * * * *0 * * *0 192.168.122.1:53 * * * *0.0.0.0:* * * * * * * * LISTEN
>

> how can this be addressed?

No idea about Bacula.

If you;re using bind9, you can set the ip to listen on with a
"listen-on" directive in the config.