Old 07-29-2011, 08:53 PM
ANDY

Default Need Help - system crash

DELL LATITUDE D600
UBUNTU 9.10 +proposed
LINUX 2.6.31-23-generic

System froze, repeating audio/caps lock/drive light.

Reboot.* After initial Ubuntu logo, flash of graphic noise then blank screen.* Hit ESC to find:

* mount: mounting /dev/disk/by-uuid/[long id here] on /root* failed:* Invalid argument
* mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory* mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory
* mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory* mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory
* Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init.* No init found. Try passing init= bootarg.
* BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu7) built-in shell (ash)
* Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.* (initramfs)

Tried rebooting to standard then recovery image of current and previous kernals.* Last error was, "EXT4-fs (sda1): error loading journal".

I have LiveCD 9.10 and 10.04, though I want to stay with 9.10.

As usual, I have tons of files that need to be recovered; I'm assuming something is left since it boots to BusyBox.

Suggestions?

ANDY - Salt Lake, UT US

Old 07-29-2011, 09:06 PM
ANDY

Using LiveCD 10.04 and trying to access the drive, I get syslog errors like '[sda] Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed', 'end_request; I/O error, dev sda, sector 33890987' and 'JBD: Failed to read block at offset 9303'.

So its apparent the filesystem is pooched to some degree.

I might need methods to manually recover the image and mine for files.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:39 PM
NoOp

On 07/29/2011 02:06 PM, ANDY wrote:
> Using LiveCD 10.04 and trying to access the drive, I get syslog errors like
> '[sda] Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed',
> 'end_request; I/O error, dev sda, sector 33890987' and 'JBD: Failed to read
> block at offset 9303'.
>
> So its apparent the filesystem is pooched to some degree.
>
> I might need methods to manually recover the image and mine for files.

Maybe a back superblock? You could try e2fsck -b[1], or with gparted on
10.04, right click the partion & select 'Check'. If those don't work,
then I'd head for testdisk & photorec:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

[1]

$ man e2fsck

Old 07-30-2011, 02:45 AM
"compdoc"

>http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

That looks a nifty program. Does someone make a bootable cd version?

Old 07-30-2011, 03:58 AM
ANDY